Can anyone ID this?

  • Thread starter Thread starter 50clay50
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

50clay50

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 2, 2015
Messages
22
Reaction score
1
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone ID this? Kinda ugly but any idea what it is and what it’s worth…

IMG_9899.jpeg IMG_9900.jpeg IMG_9901.jpeg IMG_9902.jpeg
 
Could you please get a picture under white lights? The blue is way too dark to see anything in detail. From the last photo it either looks like waving hand anthelia, xenia, or Clove polyps.
 
IMG_9903.jpeg


Here ya go
That looks like anthelia. I've heard from a few people when you try to get rid of it, it smells horrible, so be prepared for that if you're trying to get rid of it.
 
It creates its own Skeleton.
Soft corals aren't a strong point of mine yet, but in that case, I would assume it's a gorgonian, possibly a Eunicea species knobby sea rod of some kind (but I definitely don't know for sure). Either way, I don't think Anthelia or most common softies in the hobby have skeleton like that.
 
I would guess its a gorgonian of some sort or maybe Briareum. Though I am uncertain on specific morphology I have seen it listed as a gorgonian or not, it is one with large polyps like the one you posted.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new