Can anyone identify this

SaltAddict89

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 15, 2014
Messages
447
Reaction score
26
Location
Groton,CT
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1434237681562.jpg
 
Is it a cluster of bubbles or soft and puffy like a red cotton ball? Some of those red algaes can be impossible to get rid of. I hope it's a good kind. :)
 
Red bubble algae looks like tiny balloons. Sometimes they even have spots on them. If that's what it is, use tweezers to remove them and don't pop any because that's how it spreads.
 
Botryocladia (Red Grape) a macro algae that helps remove phosphates.
Rare, but abundant when found, it appears as slightly different species worldwide. Botryocladia is an outstanding specimen that does very well in the marine aquarium. It features stiff, lightly calcified branches with bright red air bladders. It resembles a cluster of grapes and is sometimes referred to as red grape Caulerpa, although it isn’t a species of Caulerpa at all.
galleryredgrape.jpg
 
I have red grape I use in my fuge. Looks different than both of those though. I also use it for treats for tangs, they love it. I also use it to get new tangs eating and its often the first thing that a new tang will eat, if its picky.
 
That's a nice site NanaReefer. It's getting hard to tell the good algae from the bad. I have tiny green petals floating on the top of one of my tanks. I have no idea what it is, but that tank was always a problem, and now it's the best it's ever been, not a spot of hair algae, bubble or cyano. Whatever it is, I'm keeping it. :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new