Can anyone recommend an inexpensive protein skimmer for around 100g total volume?

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s always the old school diy with a pvc tube, upside down funnel, Tupperware container, maxijet venturi pump and glue!

I did try a couple of DIY methods. I definitely prefer them over buying something. Never got them working the way I wanted, so figured I'd try something else for a change :D

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not needed quickly, I just don't have one on the system and am starting to have a nutrient problem, so I figured it would be helpful.
With a sump, using or changing filter socks more regularly, and growing chaeto are both much cheaper options. Both provide the same outcome. Chaeto is beneficial for many reasons.

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a sump, using or changing filter socks more regularly, and growing chaeto are both much cheaper options. Both provide the same outcome. Chaeto is beneficial for many reasons.

I have filter socks and chaeto. I can't keep the chaeto alive and have no clue why. It had enough light that coraline was growing in the sump. I make my own filter socks and do change them frequently. I'd love to know about the chaeto though.

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s always the old school diy with a pvc tube, upside down funnel, Tupperware container, maxijet venturi pump and glue!
This is old school and works well in my 20g aio.
2" pvc, couple fittings, cup, air stone, adjustable air pump.
I could use a bettrr cup but I just used what I had.
20230310_133512.jpg
20230323_140946.jpg

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230310_133512.jpg
20230323_140946.jpg

I actually tried something similar, but was never able to get it adjusted properly. I either got all water or nothing at all. I'm hoping that a commercial one will make that somewhat easier.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually tried something similar, but was never able to get it adjusted properly. I either got all water or nothing at all. I'm hoping that a commercial one will make that somewhat easier.
They are realy simple but you need an adjistable air pump. Sizing it right helps to.
I did purchace an icecap nano for like $70 and will use it in my IM 15 aio cube.
Most nano skimmers I have tried dont cut it, imo, so we will see.
I never adjust the diy skimmer as its an easy old school design.
It pulls good skim too.
20230401_134455.jpg

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second buying used. I feel like skimmers are one of those things that tend to last a long time, so not a big downside to buying used. May have to replace the pump slightly sooner, but some skimmer pumps also seem to last forever (and replacements usually aren't terribly expensive).

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second buying used. I feel like skimmers are one of those things that tend to last a long time, so not a big downside to buying used. May have to replace the pump slightly sooner, but some skimmer pumps also seem to last forever (and replacements usually aren't terribly expensive).
Downside its the price for used skimmers are usually a bit rich, lol. For a new one just over 100$ with shipping the OP just about can't beat it!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Downside its the price for used skimmers are usually a bit rich, lol. For a new one just over 100$ with shipping the OP just about can't beat it!
For any used equipment you need to know what you want and then buy when you see a good deal. Most good stuff does not last long on the used market.

I have missed many deals because I did not follow my own reasoning, go figure!

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The icecap skimmers on CoralVue are well priced. If I were the OP I'd pick up the K1-130 and just put something under it to raise the height.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The icecap skimmers on CoralVue are well priced. If I were the OP I'd pick up the K1-130 and just put something under it to raise the height.
OP ended up ordering the k1-130 I posted a few posts back. I bought a k1-100 for my cube tank a few months back, the price cant be beat. Can't get a used one for the most part @ that price.

Also I'm terribly cheap when it comes to USED aquarium anything, I wont pay more than .50 cents on the dollar for used equipment. Not worth it to me to inherit something else.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230310_133512.jpg
20230323_140946.jpg
I used to love diy! I tried the airstone route but found that a maxijet Venturi pump worked much better, well more consistent not better. Just drill a hole in the side of the pvc a smidge smaller than the nozzle end of the pump and press it in. Tuning was a bit different as you had to physically move the whole enchilada up for dryer skimm or down for wetter skim. Not too hard if your maxijet suction cups were strong enough and you didn’t have a large skimm container. Glad to see people still making things workl

lincolnnash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to love diy! I tried the airstone route but found that a maxijet Venturi pump worked much better, well more consistent not better. Just drill a hole in the side of the pvc a smidge smaller than the nozzle end of the pump and press it in. Tuning was a bit different as you had to physically move the whole enchilada up for dryer skimm or down for wetter skim. Not too hard if your maxijet suction cups were strong enough and you didn’t have a large skimm container. Glad to see people still making things workl
Thanks for this recommendation, just now I was going to get the airstone route pump and you saved me from this one.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 197 70.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 53 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back