Can Balling trace 1&2&3 used with regular salts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

sasa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to use the Balling Trace Set (1/2/3) with regular salts like nahco3 and calcium chloride dihydrate? As I understand the Balling Light CA and KH are mixed elements with different density / amounts.

If it's possible what is the dosing for the Trace set?

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the answer is yes and no... First off - I would recommend you never dose anything you are not testing for. With most salt mixes, they already contain trace elements so dosing won't be required until those levels get depleted some. If you do routine water changes with one of those mixes, then you probably never need to dose trace elements. If you are using un-enriched salts or you only change water like I do (20% 1-2 times a year), then you will certainly need to dose trace elements. Dosing will depend on test results (I am not aware of any dosing tables, but this may exist somewhere).

Last edited:
OP
OP
sasa

sasa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty much confident I need to dose trace elements - I am doing regular ICP :)

The question however is still how to adjust the dosage of the FM traces to "regular" balling salts - if FM even supports that.

George-Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am sorry for the late reply. Yes you can use the trace 1,2,3 with other macroelement supplementation methods. But please make sure you are not overdosing. The traces are extremly high concentrated. You can not compare it with other traces element products. It´s designed to be dosed over a canister which has about a gallon. There you would add 25ml of 1+2 and 3 needs to be seperatly. So I suggest you take 2 one liter bottels and then you add 5ml 1+2 in one bottle and 5ml 3 in the other bottle. The dosing amount is then according to the consumption of Ca. If your consumption is 20mg Ca per day you dose 5ml Traces per day in general but as said before this needs to be adjusted individually. If you need to raise Ca by 30mg/day then you dose 7ml and so on.

OP
OP
sasa

sasa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am sorry for the late reply. Yes you can use the trace 1,2,3 with other macroelement supplementation methods. But please make sure you are not overdosing. The traces are extremly high concentrated. You can not compare it with other traces element products. It´s designed to be dosed over a canister which has about a gallon. There you would add 25ml of 1+2 and 3 needs to be seperatly. So I suggest you take 2 one liter bottels and then you add 5ml 1+2 in one bottle and 5ml 3 in the other bottle. The dosing amount is then according to the consumption of Ca. If your consumption is 20mg Ca per day you dose 5ml Traces per day in general but as said before this needs to be adjusted individually. If you need to raise Ca by 30mg/day then you dose 7ml and so on.

Hi George,
Maybe I asked poorly.
What I wondered is if I make the solutions?

A: 250 gramms NaHCO3 in 5 litre solution - How much Trace3?
B: 250 gramms CaCl2 in 5 litre solution - How much Trace 1&2?

I still have a nearly full set of trace here at home, wanna make sure I dose it correctly.
thanks!

George-Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something I am not able to answer because I have no idea about how the dosing of those salts works that you want to use. I would also not recommend to mix the traces with it. You can mix the traces just with RO and then dose from there seperatly according to the consumption I mentioned. About how to mix it with salts I am not good enough in chemistry. Our Balling salts are a complete differnet thing than just the raw salts you are using. They contain a lot more and there are also components that are making it much easier to be used by the corals.

George-Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something that might be interesting for those who want to try the complete Balling Light system with Traces. There is a special sales at Saltwateraquarium incl. free ICP:

OP
OP
sasa

sasa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually it is an amazing offer, the full set costs 110$ in Europe without any ICP test, 150$ with ICP...

George-Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this is only available in the USA currently. You can also not compare it 100% with the EU version because there also the canister and tubes are included. Here it is focused on the products and you can choose how to dose it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back