Which salt to use when dosing All-For-Reef?

W0terMoist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by my LFS that using a salt that is full of trace elements, KH, calcium, and others (like the Coral Pro that I use) your parameters could spike after a water change due to dosing All-For-Reef. Would you use sometime like instance ocean and then add the needed parameters? Or is starting with a salt that is full of the good stuff and needing to then dose less, be a good idea? What do yall do? Basic salt and dosing? Or an enriched salt and still dose?

Troyer15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by my LFS that using a salt that is full of trace elements, KH, calcium, and others (like the Coral Pro that I use) your parameters could spike after a water change due to dosing All-For-Reef. Would you use sometime like instance ocean and then add the needed parameters? Or is starting with a salt that is full of the good stuff and needing to then dose less, be a good idea? What do yall do? Basic salt and dosing? Or an enriched salt and still dose?
When I was using redsea coral pro my calcium was high like 520-530 range. I switched to the blue bucket and its now in a range more suitable for me. Overall, I love all for reef it's just so simple and works. Don't expect explosive coral growth or anything like that but the stuff works for the average hobbyist.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think all for reef has anything to do with salt choice.

For me, there are a few factors in picking a salt but one thing I value is, using a salt that matches my target parameters. Otherwise, large water changes will cause parameters to drift.

For example, if I want to keep my Alk at 8dkh but I am using Coral Pro which has an Alk of 12dkh then if I decide to do an emergency 50% water change it could raise my Alk to 10dkh immediately. This could stress out my corals more than whatever made me decide to do the 50% water change.

You should either pick a salt that is at your target parameters or adjust your target parameters to match your salt.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No specific salt mix is necessary. Think about it, the only way your are replenishing trace elements to their full salt mix strength is by doing a 100% water change every time. You have to supplement on top of water changes in order to hit appropriate numbers. Dose AFR by calcium and you wont have an issue with trace unless you have something really wacky going on. That said, I would personally just dose by alk and never worry about it.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both and I haven't had any of those problems. I like the coral pro salt a lot actually. I change 5-10 gallons at a time on like a sunday and I'm fine. I dose AFR in the middle of the week. If you have corals that are consuming trace elements and alk, this is not an issue, but a benefit. The problem you can run into with AFR is that you're dosing the same amount of elements to the tank and if they arent all being consumed equally, you may have too much of one or the other...but you should see that in water testing.

My corals always look great after a water change.

Thing is, do a small change, and test. See where you're at. See what amount of what does what...

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think all for reef has anything to do with salt choice.

For me, there are a few factors in picking a salt but one thing I value is, using a salt that matches my target parameters. Otherwise, large water changes will cause parameters to drift.

For example, if I want to keep my Alk at 8dkh but I am using Coral Pro which has an Alk of 12dkh then if I decide to do an emergency 50% water change it could raise my Alk to 10dkh immediately. This could stress out my corals more than whatever made me decide to do the 50% water change.

You should either pick a salt that is at your target parameters or adjust your target parameters to match your salt.
100% I use Reef Crystals, and dose every few days with All4Reef ...your salt choices have no outcome on dosing

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back