Can Bio cubes grow high end corals.

Seamusthecuber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a stock 32 bio cube led string enough to grow high end zoanthids and LPS LPs corals.
I want to try to farm and frag zoanthids and want a all in one small aquarium with lights.

dbroncos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might help.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a stock 32 bio cube led string enough to grow high end zoanthids and LPS LPs corals.
I want to try to farm and frag zoanthids and want a all in one small aquarium with lights.

You want to farm but you don't understand PAR needs, lighting, and you are doing it in a biocube? My friend, just try to keep a few things alive first, don't put the cart before the horse.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, seems some people just can't be courteous.

You can keep high end corals in any size aquarium, you just have to pay attention to parameters. High end doesn't always mean hard to keep.

That being said I'd look into a system that you can get a little better lighting into. I've had the aquatop 40g as well as biocubes and I highly recommend the aquatop over the biocube

OP
OP
S

Seamusthecuber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely not. See if you can find the PAR results from the manufacturer or a hobbyist that has tested them. If you’re pulling 100-150 on the bottom, then it would be doable.

You want to farm but you don't understand PAR needs, lighting, and you are doing it in a biocube? My friend, just try to keep a few things alive first, don't put the cart before the horse.
I absolutely know how par works. I already have an established reef tank with various different corals. I'm simply asking about a biocubes since I don't have any experience with them and I want to get a second tank preferably an all in one. I service aquariums for a living. I was hoping someone would have specific par values or experience with a Bio cube. As for farming yes I am wanting to try to farm high end zoa's on the side in a second tank.

OP
OP
S

Seamusthecuber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might help.
I saw this video and was a little skeptical because those values seem entirely too strong. I feel like those lights are upgraded even if he says they aren't.

OP
OP
S

Seamusthecuber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, seems some people just can't be courteous.

You can keep high end corals in any size aquarium, you just have to pay attention to parameters. High end doesn't always mean hard to keep.

That being said I'd look into a system that you can get a little better lighting into. I've had the aquatop 40g as well as biocubes and I highly recommend the aquatop over the biocube
What do you think of the redsea desktop? It's 24 gallons and has an "armoured edge" protecting the silicone. I'm generally against redsea for the over complications and they're history of exploding tanks but one of that size even being rimless I believe is safe. I would gravitate towards that and get a screened lid. I have AI lights on my tank now and they work well but I don't know if they are optimized for growing zoas and specifically deep water zoa's. I would like a light with a nighttime moon or something to add a healthy night light to the room without overdoing the corals

386reeftrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re trying to farm Zoas, I’d go with a T5 setup. Not to turn this into a debate over lighting but if you’re trying to grow them for quantity and coloration, you can’t beat T5s. Equally as important is flow so if you’re going with an all-in-one system you will most definitely need to upgrade the return and/or add power heads for additional flow. Just my .02

OP
OP
S

Seamusthecuber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re trying to farm Zoas, I’d go with a T5 setup. Not to turn this into a debate over lighting but if you’re trying to grow them for quantity and coloration, you can’t beat T5s. Equally as important is flow so if you’re going with an all-in-one system you will most definitely need to upgrade the return and/or add power heads for additional flow. Just my .02
Thank you I appreciate that. I will look into those set ups. I want to use a tunze return pump I've found to be alright

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do anything in a small system, imo.
My 20g aio nano cube is mostly sps. My 30g has a nice zoa rock that grows very well under 16hds.
They are getting 200 par and love it.

I also run Tunze returns on all of my systems.

Also take a look at the NooPsyche K7V3. I am running one on my 20g and it grows coral well. They are nice lights for the money.
I run K7, 16hd's, and xr15 blue radions so I can compair results.

Current 20g is 4 months old.
Full lights and some blue.
20230617_150612.jpg
20230630_204339.jpg

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think of the redsea desktop? It's 24 gallons and has an "armoured edge" protecting the silicone. I'm generally against redsea for the over complications and they're history of exploding tanks but one of that size even being rimless I believe is safe. I would gravitate towards that and get a screened lid. I have AI lights on my tank now and they work well but I don't know if they are optimized for growing zoas and specifically deep water zoa's. I would like a light with a nighttime moon or something to add a healthy night light to the room without overdoing the corals
I've never had one so I can't comment on the quality

OP
OP
S

Seamusthecuber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do anything in a small system, imo.
My 20g aio nano cube is mostly sps. My 30g has a nice zoa rock that grows very well under 16hds.
They are getting 200 par and love it.

I also run Tunze returns on all of my systems.

Also take a look at the NooPsyche K7V3. I am running one on my 20g and it grows coral well. They are nice lights for the money.
I run K7, 16hd's, and xr15 blue radions so I can compair results.

Current 20g is 4 months old.
Full lights and some blue.
20230617_150612.jpg
20230630_204339.jpg
That is some mad Coraline algae and nice selection

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back