Can cleaner shrimp destroy corals?

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a cleaner shrimp in my tank around 3 months now, and I’ve noticed in the evenings as lights are going down that he gets active and starts going to town on certain corals. And by coincidence or not all the corals he’s crawling all over and dancing on, have either started losing their polyps or have died. More recently my Duncan coral, he was all over it and everyday it would lose a head, as is my frogspawn currently which is nearly down to a skeleton. I have a Goni which I’ve seen him all over and I’ve only noticed it’s down to the skeleton on the side where he is most active on it.
All other corals are thriving, but I only see him on the ones that aren’t which has got me thinking is he killing my corals?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a cleaner shrimp in my tank around 3 months now, and I’ve noticed in the evenings as lights are going down that he gets active and starts going to town on certain corals. And by coincidence or not all the corals he’s crawling all over and dancing on, have either started losing their polyps or have died. More recently my Duncan coral, he was all over it and everyday it would lose a head, as is my frogspawn currently which is nearly down to a skeleton. I have a Goni which I’ve seen him all over and I’ve only noticed it’s down to the skeleton on the side where he is most active on it.
All other corals are thriving, but I only see him on the ones that aren’t which has got me thinking is he killing my corals?
It's not super common, but some have been caught stealing mucus/food off of the corals and irritating them, its certainly possible thats whats happening

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myself, I've never seen an issue with cleaner shrimp causing issues with corals. What species do you have? I would consider the possibility there's something else going on and it's just being opportunistic and might actually be doing you a favor by removing diseased tissue.

stovenut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimp, and others like banded corals and peppermints, are naturally more active foraging in reef tanks at night. I see mine leave the safe havens of their caves/shelters to look for leftovers, including checking out my corals. I see no evidence that cleaners damage corals.

How about you target feed your cleaner a couple times per week and see if that curbs his enthusiasm?

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine more less just P's off my corals by walking all over them. Like zoas and duncans.

Mine seems to avoid my hammer.

He's been in the hot seat a few times as he's in a nano and i threaten to put him in the big tank and he seems to straighten right up. :zany-face: He would be annihilated in the big tank.:face-with-open-mouth:

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimp, and others like banded corals and peppermints, are naturally more active foraging in reef tanks at night. I see mine leave the safe havens of their caves/shelters to look for leftovers, including checking out my corals. I see no evidence that cleaners damage corals.

How about you target feed your cleaner a couple times per week and see if that curbs his enthusiasm?
When I feed brine or mysis I always go for him first and target feed him, he knows my baster is the food tube lol.

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myself, I've never seen an issue with cleaner shrimp causing issues with corals. What species do you have? I would consider the possibility there's something else going on and it's just being opportunistic and might actually be doing you a favor by removing diseased tissue.
He’s a red line cleaner shrimp, and you could be right about diseased tissue but it’s just so coincidental that the corals he hangs around are slowly fading away.

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I’m talking about, my frogspawn was doing good until he took a liking to it.

Attachments

• EA3CD90A-CC0C-4AFD-9A25-F96DBB8E134B.jpeg
    EA3CD90A-CC0C-4AFD-9A25-F96DBB8E134B.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 49

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great photo :)
I think cleaner shrimp is just feeding off a dying coral, I think something else is causing coral to die, I'm no expert

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I’m talking about, my frogspawn was doing good until he took a liking to it.
I see a dying sps in the back of the photo. I have to agree with others stating the shrimp is being opportunistic and something else is going on.

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came to the conclusion that my cleaner shrimp was being opportunistic with those corals, so I removed them and the cleaner is back to just rummaging around the tank and not annoying any other corals. I'm not sure what the cause was that made those corals fade away as all my parameters are within acceptable limits, and all my other corals are doing just fine. I'll continue to monitor the tank and corals to see if anything else is going on.

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept cleaner shrimp for a few years and found them to be extremely aggressive when it came to eating, that is they would go to a LPS or sun coral that had eaten and pull food out of their mouths, sometimes as long as an hour after feeding. In addition the clownfish were on constant guard duty protecting their anemone from being raided as well. They are very cool and pretty, but do not have a place in my mixed reef.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%

Back