Can Cleaner Shrimp Get Internal Worms

SomeReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a clownfish that has internal worms. I will be treating it next week, as getting med's in Canada is so hard. This is a dumb question but since worms passed from one fish to my other clown, do I also need to treat the cleaner shrimp?

Thanks in advance

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more different a creature is the less likely they are to host the same parasites. Fish and shrimp are anatomically and genetically very different. Also as far as I know most parasite medications would seriously harm a shrimp. My thoughts at least, not a fish medic.

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the answer to your question, but inverts don't typically respond to the medications we give fishes. So even if this were a possibility, I don't think you could treat it.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No because most medication meant for fish are not invert safe especially copper based medication! And many fish diseases and parasites like velvet and ick do not infect invertebrates.

OP
OP
S

SomeReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more different a creature is the less likely they are to host the same parasites. Fish and shrimp are anatomically and genetically very different. Also as far as I know most parasite medications would seriously harm a shrimp. My thoughts at least, not a fish medic.
Thanks for the help! If cleaner shrimp is in the tank with the clownfish with worms, is there anything I can do to treat the cleaner?

OP
OP
S

SomeReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the answer to your question, but inverts don't typically respond to the medications we give fishes. So even if this were a possibility, I don't think you could treat it.
Thanks for the heads up

OP
OP
S

SomeReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No because most medication meant for fish are not invert safe especially copper based medication! And many fish diseases and parasites like velvet and ick do not infect invertebrates.
Thank you, so the worms would not impacted the cleaner shrimp?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you, so the worms would not impacted the cleaner shrimp?
They shouldn’t. Can you post a photo? So you want to remove the clownfish and treat them in a separate quarantine tank. Here’s some helpful articles: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/fish-disease-index-pictorial-guide.199/

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about it. Honestly we're more closely related to a clown fish than a shrimp is to a clown. The chance of interspecies spread on that level is very low.

But yes, you want to treat the fish in a quarantine system as said above.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back