OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few of the differences between ocellaris and perculas include the color of the color of the eyes, the number of the dorsal spines, and the thickness of the black lines of the body. Typically, perculas have more orange in the eyes, 10 dorsal spines (vs 11 on the ocellaris), and thicker black lines on the body. If you can get a clearer picture of the head and side then we can probably help with the ID.

I’d read that description but this guy doesn’t fit into the typical mould. She’s got black tipped fins. That’s what’s throwing me off. Otherwise looks like an ocellaris to me. I dunno. What do u think?

EC4FB0E6-79D3-4885-83F0-59B52943669E.png

BC7E55F2-B341-4528-B9A9-79FD03A49CB9.png

bfishb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My set of tomatoes have been laying eggs for about 8 months. I see that we have fry swimming around. We adopted them because they were meaner than **** and could only be in a tank by themselves. We wont put ours hands in there while they're in the tank. You can have the babies. Btw the parents will make you bleed.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my personal experience but 2 clowns are not worse than one since only the big female is aggressive and the male will leave you alone. I'm not sure if that is the correct answer but it's how it works in my 112g tank

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My set of tomatoes have been laying eggs for about 8 months. I see that we have fry swimming around. We adopted them because they were meaner than **** and could only be in a tank by themselves. We wont put ours hands in there while they're in the tank. You can have the babies. Btw the parents will make you bleed.

You shouldn’t get into sales lol.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my personal experience but 2 clowns are not worse than one since only the big female is aggressive and the male will leave you alone. I'm not sure if that is the correct answer but it's how it works in my 112g tank

Hadn’t thought of that. Excellent

Colin E Matthews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of common clowns which have clained a yellow coral as a hoist, I have my hands in the tank quite often to trim the caulerpa
I start at one end and slowly work my way closer and have never even looked like being attacked,
probably something about "the hand that feeds them

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of common clowns which have clained a yellow coral as a hoist, I have my hands in the tank quite often to trim the caulerpa
I start at one end and slowly work my way closer and have never even looked like being attacked,
probably something about "the hand that feeds them

I think you lucked out lol. I hear they have a reputation for being mean. I have resorted to chasing mine into a cave so she leaves me alone for a good 30 seconds

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought about this a lot. I have a single Spotcinctus clown (A. bicinctus) in my JBJ 45 AIO. I went with one because of the tank size. It is hosted by a Bubble Tip Anemone. I often think of adding a second.

I considered that having one would lead to less aggression and that has proven true for my tank. She has been a model citizen. She chases no one, she pals around with the Midas Blenny and she has never attacked me. This could all change in time of course.

If I add a second I would expect more aggression from the female, especially if they spawn. I would hate to disrupt the nice balance I have going right now, but I do feel like a pair is more natural.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have thought about this a lot. I have a single Spotcinctus clown (A. bicinctus) in my JBJ 45 AIO. I went with one because of the tank size. It is hosted by a Bubble Tip Anemone. I often think of adding a second.

I considered that having one would lead to less aggression and that has proven true for my tank. She has been a model citizen. She chases no one, she pals around with the Midas Blenny and she has never attacked me. This could all change in time of course.

If I add a second I would expect more aggression from the female, especially if they spawn. I would hate to disrupt the nice balance I have going right now, but I do feel like a pair is more natural.

It’s so hard trying to balance the needs of the individual v the possible harmony of the tank. Tough tough call

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s so hard trying to balance the needs of the individual v the possible harmony of the tank. Tough tough call
That is a great way to describe it! Probably true for humans too, LOL

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Honestly I would just go with a pair, make sure you get another smaller one if you do decide to pair her up. In a 112 the clowns will usually stick near there home and won't bother you unless you come knocking at there door. Of my two clowns the Female was by far more aggressive to me and the Male didn't really do anything to bother me. He was wipped pretty good :p

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I would just go with a pair, make sure you get another smaller one if you do decide to pair her up. In a 112 the clowns will usually stick near there home and won't bother you unless you come knocking at there door. Of my two clowns the Female was by far more aggressive to me and the Male didn't really do anything to bother me.

I think I’ll probably get her a mate either way. I can tolerate the weekly assault as long as my other fish are safe :) and, if they get out of hand, they’ll have a date w Mr. toilet. Omg I can’t even believe I made that joke. I would NEVER!!! I quadruple check to make sure anything is dead before I flush and, even then, get paranoid that maybe I saw movement during the flush. Ugh

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back