Can different species of Acropora touch eachother?

EpisodeMnH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know general rule is that corals can touch their own species without any stinging issues, but since there’s different “subspecies” of Acropora, do they need to be separated from eachother? I currently only have 3 different Acros in my tank, but each one is a different species, a Millepora, a Tenuis, and a Valida, and they’re all in their own designated area high in the tank currently, but I’m wondering if I’ll run into any issues and need to relocate them as they grow.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you normally cannot allow them to touch....one will grow and kill back the other. Your best bet is to frag as they get close rather than move them around the tank.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know general rule is that corals can touch their own species without any stinging issues, but since there’s different “subspecies” of Acropora, do they need to be separated from eachother? I currently only have 3 different Acros in my tank, but each one is a different species, a Millepora, a Tenuis, and a Valida, and they’re all in their own designated area high in the tank currently, but I’m wondering if I’ll run into any issues and need to relocate them as they grow.
Yup, as waters said. Or just let them see what they do au natural.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, as waters said. Or just let them see what they do au natural.
Exactly what I do unless one is completely killing the other.

I have some where they meet friendly, others that will kill anything else it touches, and others that only die where they touch, and continue to grow past the touching.

Really depends on the coral itself.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back