Can dinos be different colors than brown?

hoffmeyerz

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 2, 2021
Messages
943
Reaction score
1,411
Location
Michigan
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can dinos be green in color? I've been struggling with what I thought was green cyano but am now thinking dinos, microscope is on the way for a closer look.
I've always viewed dinos as brown to brownish/red which is one reason I thought is was cyano. Has anyone had experience with dinos that are green in color?
 
Can dinos be green in color? I've been struggling with what I thought was green cyano but am now thinking dinos, microscope is on the way for a closer look.
I've always viewed dinos as brown to brownish/red which is one reason I thought is was cyano. Has anyone had experience with dinos that are green in color?
Yes- yellow/brown , green blend and even orange.
Please post pics under bright white light intensity, no blue and also your ammonia - nitrate and phosphate levels and how you are testing these levels
 
KIMG2623.JPG


KIMG2622.JPG


Please keep in mind that I thought I was dealing with cyano. Phos was at 0 awhile ago but corals were still doing well so I was under the impression I was reading 0 because the cyano and corals were consuming it. It would also disappear with lights off and then I would typically get a small phos reading like .02 in the am after the night of lights out, another reason I thought cyano.
I'm pretty sure I was wrong and my approach has not helped and maybe exasperated things. I have been dosing diy phos made with sodium phosphate dibasic now for days now and haven't gotten off zero yet.
Feeling kinda low for possibly making my prob worse!
I don't rest ammonia, haven't since cycled 4yrs ago.
Nitrate today was 6.5
Phos today was still 0
Testing with Hanna
 
I fought that stuff for 5 months, from August to December, then finally beat it. I got it in my 3 year old softie tank which has high nutrients, and has regular maintenance and weekly water changes.

I tried everything from changing the water twice a day for week to not changing the water at all. In the end I decided to grow green hair algae, so I started dumping lots of food and reef roids in the tank, after about a week, that green stuff turned into red cyano. So I just used chemiclean and that was the end, poof my tank was back to normal.

I don't know if this is cyano or dino's, I researched this as much as possible. It seems to be popping up more on the forums lately, I think its something new, either a new dino or green cyano, I don't know. But there's not much online, and no solutions that I could find. This stuff was pretty nasty, it killed some zoa's and mushrooms.
Anyway good luck
 
I fought that stuff for 5 months, from August to December, then finally beat it. I got it in my 3 year old softie tank which has high nutrients, and has regular maintenance and weekly water changes.

I tried everything from changing the water twice a day for week to not changing the water at all. In the end I decided to grow green hair algae, so I started dumping lots of food and reef roids in the tank, after about a week, that green stuff turned into red cyano. So I just used chemiclean and that was the end, poof my tank was back to normal.

I don't know if this is cyano or dino's, I researched this as much as possible. It seems to be popping up more on the forums lately, I think its something new, either a new dino or green cyano, I don't know. But there's not much online, and no solutions that I could find. This stuff was pretty nasty, it killed some zoa's and mushrooms.
Anyway good luck
I'm glad you beat it back but man, 5 months, ugh!
I'm at least a prob a couple months in already. Once I get a look under the scope I hope to get a better idea and plan made up.....I hope!
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new