Can dipping permanently harm a coral?

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people suspect that dipping corals can irreversibly harm the coral and it will therefore never achieve it's best possible coloration. Do any of you have an opinion on this?

If someone dips for too long or uses too harsh a dip, and the coral survives, are they usually able to make a full recovery or have you seen permanent or very long lasting issues?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people suspect that dipping corals can irreversibly harm the coral and it will therefore never achieve it's best possible coloration. Do any of you have an opinion on this?

If someone dips for too long or uses too harsh a dip, and the coral survives, are they usually able to make a full recovery or have you seen permanent or very long lasting issues?

I experienced one or the other, damages to the point of no recovery or it pulls through and grows. It's highly dependent on the dip and length.

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I experienced one or the other, damages to the point of no recovery or it pulls through and grows. It's highly dependent on the dip and length.
Thanks!
Have you ever seen a coral recover in terms of size/growth but not color?

How often have you seen dipping have these effects, not very?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
Have you ever seen a coral recover in terms of size/growth but not color?

How often have you seen dipping have these effects, not very?

No, I dip everything I place in my tank, except leather corals. All my LPS and SPS gets dipped. All recover and grow/color as expected, some slower than others, especially SPS.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Type of dip and duration of dip can have an impact on any coral.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Bastray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experiences if I dip a stressed coral and the dip makes it worse, very rare, it is either going to live or die. If it lives it will regain color and start growing eventually. I’ve had some coral that were stripping and pretty much done and I left them aloneness the tank to have a full recovery.

99% of the time I’ve had no issues though. Follow the directions and you should be good. Even if you lose one coral due to dipping you are better off than putting whatever pests that coral may have had in the tank because you didn’t dip it

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experiences if I dip a stressed coral and the dip makes it worse, very rare, it is either going to live or die. If it lives it will regain color and start growing eventually. I’ve had some coral that were stripping and pretty much done and I left them aloneness the tank to have a full recovery.

99% of the time I’ve had no issues though. Follow the directions and you should be good. Even if you lose one coral due to dipping you are better off than putting whatever pests that coral may have had in the tank because you didn’t dip it
Which dip do you use? Bayer?

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which types of corals cannot be dipped or are extremely sensitive to it?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back