Can Flatworm Exit, carbon or lots of water changes cause bryopsis?

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank had bryopsis and was treated with ReefFlux, but that was quite a while ago (a year+ maybe), but I'm sure there could still be some in there. More recently, about a month ago, I used RedCyanoRX to clear up a cyano outbreak. Also, I'm not 100% convinced yet that that's what this is, though it could just be very new/"young".

In any case, on Saturday I did a round of Flatworm Exit and then added carbon and have changed a lot of the water since then.
This tank has always had (green hair?) algae in it but today I noticed it looked...different. The end of each filament has the look of bryopsis, but just the end, which is why I'm not entirely sure it's actually bryposis.
Granted, this could just be a coincidence, but between the meds, whatever came off the dying flatworms and now (hopefully) very clean water, I'm assuming it's related.
Here's a few pictures, hopefully you can see that the part that makes bryopsis look like bryopsis, is only on the ends. So, something unrelated to bryopsis or just very new? And does it have anything to do with the Flatworm Exit (and carbon and water changes) I just used?

TCK Corals

Always 100% Aquacultured
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae bloom could be a direct result of increased nutrients from flatworm die off as well as increased or new trace elements from the new saltwater mix. Add in some extra lighting from the post carbon water clarity and that’s a recipe for any opportunistic algae, dino or cyano etc.

That algae in the photo could be bryopsis or there is another type of feathery “hair algae” but i can’t remember the name of it. Look to see if the algae grows large and fern like with deep roots. From the photos, it definitely looks like it could be the start of a bryopsis outbreak especially if you’ve had it in the past.

If you can get the rock out, possibly try peroxiding the “hot spots” before running fluconazole again

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back