Can I add a doser with a Refugium

bkennedy239

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 19, 2021
Messages
29
Reaction score
4
Location
edmond
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about adding that new red Sea four-part doser it looks a lot simpler than the old seven part however there have been discussions that a refugium is not compatible because of some issue. I have got a email into red but I’ve never heard back anybody. have any suggestions? I have a 350 reefer Red Sea with a 21 gallon refugium and a protein scammer, I add magnesium and trace elements as needed and do a daily dose of bionic, calcium and alk I also use phosguard in a bag to keep the phosphate down.
 
I have my ReefDoser4 dosing into the chamber with the return pump after the refugium.
 
I think their concern being that refugiums draw trace that throws their simplistic balance off but if trace being tested then I can't see why that can't be manually replaced. Approach I'll be taking with AFR which appears very similar to RS with exception being all in one dose concentration.

Don't believe they are speaking of where dosed but fact plants will compete corals for certain trace elements. Sort of like Triton where they have formulas for refugium and without. RS being strictly without.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new