can i add more fish?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you an expert said to I still would not just because of how many fish you have now.

What makes them an expert? Is it an LFS employee trying to sell you something? I would trust us over any LFS since we aren't making money off of you buying something and they are.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay. not sure though cause they kept saying it over and over.
They don't want to give you your money back. You can ask to talk to whoever is in charge of the fish section and see if they will work with you; or if they know any other saltwater fish owners that can help mentor you...

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have a 20 gallon tank with
3x clownfish
x1 flame hawkfish
x-1 royal gramma can i add more fish? and what type?
3 clowns are problematic. The odd man out will most likely get annihilated. It's better to buy clowns in even numbers.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes them an expert? Is it an LFS employee trying to sell you something? I would trust us over any LFS since we aren't making money off of you buying something and they are.
No, a member here who is definitely NOT an expert

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have a 20 gallon tank with
3x clownfish
x1 flame hawkfish
x-1 royal gramma can i add more fish? and what type?
No. You have the perfect amount of fish in there. I would add some coral.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no hobbyist in my area. I live ina very. rural area. in the middle of texas. I have a 5 gallon tank if i can rehome it there? i probably cant but just windering.
Back to this comment... if you have a Petco with a saltwater fish section, there are obviously other hobbyists in the area. It would be a good idea to try to get in touch with someone local who can mentor you. I know you mean well and want to do right by the animals you keep, but as you said, you're very new to this, and having a local "buddy" to go to for advice can be helpful.

OP
OP
Ryansi

Ryansi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to this comment... if you have a Petco with a saltwater fish section, there are obviously other hobbyists in the area. It would be a good idea to try to get in touch with someone local who can mentor you. I know you mean well and want to do right by the animals you keep, but as you said, you're very new to this, and having a local "buddy" to go to for advice can be helpful.
Okay. is petco open about trading fish?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. is petco open about trading fish?
Not sure what you mean, but if you talk to the fish manager and let them know you want help from someone local, im sure if they know anyone, they can take your number and pass it along...

OP
OP
Ryansi

Ryansi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you mean, but if you talk to the fish manager and let them know you want help from someone local, im sure if they know anyone, they can take your number and pass it along...
Yes. I was talking about id the clownfish gets to aggresive. i would give it back to petco for a other fish.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I was talking about id the clownfish gets to aggresive. i would give it back to petco for a other fish.
No, you would ask them to please take it back, with no money returned and no new fish for trade.
If you can't give it to another hobbyist, it's the next best thing, and the responsible thing to do if you don't already have a new tank ready for it (fully cycled with rock, filter, heater, etc)

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Like others have said 3 clowns will become a problem probably fairly soon.

That being said I had a 22 gallon long and had 2 clowns, 2 cardinals, a tailspot blenny, and a watchman goby with a pistol shrimp. I actually kept my tank too clean and got dinos. Not sure why people are telling you no more than 5 fish. With the right research and upkeep it is doable.

If I was you I would consider re-homing the flame hawk as well. They could become aggressive if you ever wanted to get another bottom dwelling fish that stays smaller.

Overall, I would slow things down here, drop 1 clown from the tank and let things settle in for a while. Then you could look at what else you might want to add. You also need to start testing nitrate and phosphate with a reliable tester so you know what your tank will handle.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back