Can I add Nassarius Snails ?

lennyd4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added my first fish into my 65g FOWLR tank. It is a SMALL Ocellaris clownfish that I added on thursday. I feed him 1/4 of a block of mysis shrimp ONCE a day. He eats a few pieces but a lot gets away. So my question is, Would it be safe to add 4 or 5 Nassarius snails into the tank at this time ?

OP
OP
L

lennyd4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thanks for the reply, I know I can't add any other kind of snail because I really dont have any algae for them to feed off of so I do not want to kill them.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a sand bed? Nassarius are snails that work in the sand bed, eating detritus and uneaten foods. They live in the sand bed, buried, for the most part, coming out of the sand, when they smell food.

Rockadile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally i would wait too add those snails till your tank is better established. The reason i say this is those suckers do a great job and in a tank your size 5 of them can really go through and strip your sand bed. I think hermits would be a better choice at this stage.

AmberL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The snails can starve to death if there's not enough to eat. I wouldn't add 4 or 5. I only have 2 in my 90 gallon and they do a great job keeping the sandbed clean. My tank is 7 months old.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.6%
Back