Nassarius Snail - Attacking others....

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased 2 Nassarius snails not too long ago, and added some Astrea and Trochus snails a day ago. To my dismay, I saw one Nassarius on top of one of the other snails, which was flipped upside down as if it's trying to eat it. Now I'm wondering what is happening here....perhaps these aren't Nassarius snails, and something else, and is such behavior normal?

20240306_102527_resized.jpg
20240306_102707_resized.jpg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they do appear to be nassarius. Do they have sufficient food to eat in the form of leftovers? If not, they could be hunting other snails because they're starving, or the other snails they are eating are already sick, injured or dead.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they do appear to be nassarius. Do they have sufficient food to eat in the form of leftovers? If not, they could be hunting other snails because they're starving, or the other snails they are eating are already sick, injured or dead.
Thanks for confirming. The other snails, I've had to put in my other tank, so they won't get killed. They otherwise are healthy.

I'm now suspecting that there's not enough food like you suggested. I'll drop some pellets in I guess.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for confirming. The other snails, I've had to put in my other tank, so they won't get killed. They otherwise are healthy.

I'm now suspecting that there's not enough food like you suggested. I'll drop some pellets in I guess.
Great idea. You have to remember, Nassarius' generally preferred food is newly dead flesh. If you ever have the unfortunate instance of a fish dying in your tank, you'll see the nassarius go into hyperdrive like a bunch of little zombies hunting for the corpse.

I feed my cleanup crew directly once every 2 or 3 days after lights out, either with a chunk of raw deshelled shrimp, or hikari algae wafers (which despite the product name, contains animal protein, and works great for CUC feeding because they sink): https://amzn.to/48H44LY

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails get stuck to each other sometimes...not trying to eat each other, you should have saw my Mexican Grazer stuck to my fighting conch yesterday, it was comedy gold, until I pulled them apart.
Washington Wizards Bruhh GIF by NBC Sports Washington

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back