Need Help identifying Algae, Cyano, or Dinos? video available.

  • Thread starter Thread starter gatubelo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

gatubelo

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 12, 2026
Messages
3
Reaction score
20
Location
orlando
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling this for about a month or so, and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. Sometimes it's better; I think I'm going to win, and it's back.

The tank is a 25 Gallon IM Lagoon. For media, I use filter floss (rinsed with RO water every 2 days) and some activated carbon.
The tank is 5 months old. Started with dry rock and a couple of pounds of live rock.

Fish: 2 Clowns, 1 watchman Goby paired with a tiger pistol shrimp and a tail spot blenny.
CUC: 10 blue leg hermits, 8 astrea snails, 1 tiger conch, 4 nassarius snails, 1 Mexican turbo snail, 2 trochus snails.
Corals: zoas, duncan, acans, palytoas, all small frags.

I have dosed pods before: Tigriopus, Tisbe, and Apocyclops a few months ago.

2 wave makers: Hygger's, one on the back of the tank (the smaller one), and the other one to the front of the tank.

Lights: 21" AI Blade Grow, running for 8 hours: blue lights at peak 50% and white light at 20% for about 2 hours.

My parameters are:
Phosphate: 0.04 (Hanna checker)
Nitrate: 10-15 (Salifert)
Salinity: 35
Alk: 9
PH: 8-8.2
Temp: 77.8
RO/DI Water: 0 TDS

I did struggle with 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates a few months back, and I used NeoNitro and NeoPhos.

Trying to stay away from chemicals but open to ideas. Thank you!


 
That tank is still young maybe cut back the feeding and lights and stir it up
 
Keep NO3 and PO4 detectable and have you tried adding pods. They can only help the tank and might actually help the sandbed issue too.
 
Hi, thanks for the recommendations. It's almost gone! Very little is left, just some spots on the sand. Now just looking at the Nitrates and Phosphates.
Nitrates: 15-20 and phosphates 0.12
 
Last edited:

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 25 30.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new