Can I add sand cap to miracle mud?

  • Thread starter Thread starter KVYA
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

KVYA

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 28, 2015
Messages
844
Reaction score
223
Location
Los Angeles, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 25g reef with two HOB refugiums and I was wondering if you are able to add a sand cap on top of miracle mud.

If so, how deep should the sand cap be and what particle size should I use?
 
Pretty common I think, at least it used to be.
Is the purpose to keep the mud from getting blown around?
 
Pretty common I think, at least it used to be.
Is the purpose to keep the mud from getting blown around?[/QUOTE

Yes and no. I'm going to be putting the miracle mud in a HOB refugium and will have caulerpa prolifera in it. I don't want to take out the caulerpa and the miracle mud when I'm pulling the caulerpa out. So I want the sand cap so the roots will latch to the sand and not the miracle mud. I will probably be using a fine grain sand if I can use a sand cap on top of the MM
 
Hmm. I get it. My Caulerpa Brachypus only roots to about 1/2". Hope this helps.

FWIW, I don't think there's going to be hardly any advection of water through the mud with a matted layer of sand on top of it. In other words, that matted later of Caulerpa roots might prevent you from getting the benefit of the mud into your system.

We'll see what the experts say....
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new