Can I add wild caught Palaemon Serratus (common prawn) to my reef tank?

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went on holiday to Brittany in France where I saw a lot of sea creatures. I brought I small plastic aquarium and put in some shrimp, small fish, snails and small crabs. One of the shrimps I caught was the Palaemon Serratus (common prawn). I caught them in the small pools of water when the tides change. The water in there can heat up very fast and so I figured I might be able to put the common prawns in my reef tank. I just came back home yesterday and I took the common prawns with me (I released all the other animals). I put them in my quarantine tank with a temperature of 24.5 C (76 F). They are doing well and already cleaned my quarantine tank!

My question is if there are any things to consider before adding the wild caught Common Prawns to my tank?

I did some research before bringing them home and that's how I know they are able to live in higher temperature. As far as I know from research, they are scavengers and are no risk to corals, fish and inverts. Does anyone have experience in keeping them or know more about the potential risks? Do I risk introducing other pests or parasites?

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1: check with your local laws. Its different everywhere, but as someone who really wants to catch a squillia mantis at the beach turns out I need a ton of permits + there's specific ways i have to catch it (I cannot catch it by line and hook for some reason even though I'd have no intention to). Locally here you cannot catch and keep anything from the rivers, its a hefty fine to keep crayfish without consuming them or the heads cut off. Wikipedia article for palaemon serratus give or take suggest overfishing is a concern so idk how safe these are to collect or if you're early enough for it.

2: I'm not too familiar with these but I would assume they're reef safe and keep a close eye. One facility actually breeds them for sea horses and fish food.

3: parasite wise, isopods are always a possibility to infect other shrimp.

Upvote 0

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably. I have no experience with your species but have kept bait shrimp from the Texas gulf in tanks for multiple molts. The only issue is they are increadibly good jumpers and scittish and sooner or later ended up on the floor.

Upvote 0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 19 31.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.7%
Back