Can I avoid a mass spawning of trochus snails?

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have had in my reefing history 2 trochus spawning events. The reef water looked like milk. It caused a very big, rapid maintenance interventuon on my part to get the water quality back to par. The only snails availible atm in my area are trochus. Any insight on how to avoid such an event? Thanks

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have had in my reefing history 2 trochus spawning events. The reef water looked like milk. It caused a very big, rapid maintenance interventuon on my part to get the water quality back to par. The only snails availible atm in my area are trochus. Any insight on how to avoid such an event? Thanks

I have to ask what maintenance did it cause? For me other than an PH drop coral is all fine and they extend polyps to eat. I don’t believe it’s preventable

This is looking down 8’ of the tank-
81B1E27B-D16B-4735-AF5B-8528F3939A8D.jpeg

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have poor quality tank water?

Seriously though, with the exception of removing them all from the tank, if your tank has an environment they like, they will spawn.

Mine do it a couple times a year at night and everything turns soupy looking. But my corals seem to like it and the whole tank is usually clear by late morning.

I like seeing the little micro trochus cruising around the tank and my kids love searching for them.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the increase in international freight causing the price of Trochus to pretty much double I would be happy that mine were spawning.

coralreefer123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see this was Posted a while ago, but I have a bunch of trochus snails. Does the cloudy water during spawning hurt anything or can I let it clear on it’s own? I have a 10gal with some lps corals

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see this was Posted a while ago, but I have a bunch of trochus snails. Does the cloudy water during spawning hurt anything or can I let it clear on it’s own? I have a 10gal with some lps corals

Coral food, let it go on its own.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back