Can I dim older cree xre leds?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Boxfish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Boxfish

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 21, 2016
Messages
143
Reaction score
40
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have some Cree xre clusters that I was wondering if there was a way to dim? I got them for free and don't know lot about them aside that they were sold by CoralSky. They came with meanwell LPC -35-1400 constant current ac to D.C. drivers. Can I change the driver type and be able to dim? Just getting into leds and trying to figure things out, dimming and drivers is confusing. Thanks z.
 
Yes, you can dim the LEDs. You will need to find a dimmable driver with the same specifications as the one you are replacing.

Here are the specs for your current driver: http://www.rapidled.com/mean-well-lpc-35-700-constant-current-driver/

Here are a few I found that our pretty close. You will need to determine your total LED voltage as well as your actual max allowable current to see what is right for you.

750 mA, 54vdc: http://www.trcelectronics.com/View/Mean-Well/HLG-40H-54B.shtml

700 mA, 18vdc: http://www.trcelectronics.com/View/Mean-Well/PLM-12-700.shtml
700 mA, 36vdc: http://www.trcelectronics.com/View/Mean-Well/PLM-25-700.shtml
700 mA, 54vdc: http://www.trcelectronics.com/View/Mean-Well/PLM-40-700.shtml

And here is the whole list for you to sort through. Remember, you need actual max allowable current and actual voltage to pick which one is right for you.
http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwell/power-supply-led-dimmable.shtml

Unfortunately, none of these match the LPC-35-700 exact so this will take some research and number crunching on your part.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new