Can I do a 100% water change on my nano tank?

calebsmith7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a five gallon tank which is overrun with brown algea. I’ve looked at all types of websites and ways to fix this but nothing has ever worked. Can I do a 100% water change in order to clean out my sand and scrub the stuff off my rocks?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say yes. @brandon429 has a rip clean method which does just that.

What brown algae are we talking about? If it’s diatoms, limiting silica (only use RO/DI) will work. No need for a rip clean.

If it’s dinoflagellates, rip cleans will only temporarily work IME.

OP
OP
calebsmith7

calebsmith7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say yes. @brandon429 has a rip clean method which does just that.

What brown algae are we talking about? If it’s diatoms, limiting silica (only use RO/DI) will work. No need for a rip clean.

If it’s dinoflagellates, rip cleans will only temporarily work IME.
I use a RODI water filter, so that shouldn’t be the problem. So I guess that means it’s dinoflagellates. If it is dinoflagellates how would I fix that?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a RODI water filter, so that shouldn’t be the problem. So I guess that means it’s dinoflagellates. If it is dinoflagellates how would I fix that?
Do you have a picture of it to help confirm an identification?

OP
OP
calebsmith7

calebsmith7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 34

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@calebsmith7

It kind of looks like chrysophytes to me. Of course, you need to microscope to be sure. We can’t normally ID dinos/chrysos without a microscope.

What are your nutrient levels at?

@taricha

Help please.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to do more than 100% water change. And yes it is safe in your case as I do not see many live corals there. Do you have fish?
Your tank seem to be also deprived of quality live rock, which might be a problem. Arch is looking nice, but you may need a bit more rock there.
TBS have Pico packages with live rock, which would increase your tank biodiversity.
What are your parameters, including nutrients like phosphate and nitrate, photoperiod, water flow?

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You need to do more than 100% water change. And yes it is safe in your case as I do not see many live corals there. Do you have fish?
Your tank seem to be also deprived of quality live rock, which might be a problem. Arch is looking nice, but you may need a bit more rock there.
TBS have Pico packages with live rock, which would increase your tank biodiversity.
What are your parameters, including nutrients like phosphate and nitrate, photoperiod, water flow?
* points to the clownfish in the top righthand corner of the OP's pic * :winking-face:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This stuff does appear to be Chrsophytes and is labor work for removal. Take the rock out and place in large container with tank water.
Give the tank a good siphon and clean all filters and skimmer if you have one.
Scrub the rock with a firm toothbrush Or auto detail brush and 3% peroxide. Agitate to shake off particles and add cleaners such as Pitho crabs, chiton snails, ninja star snails and caribbean blue leg hermits to help with control and reduce white intensity a little and increase water flow. You likely have inadequate flow which allowed this to adhere to rock

Detail brush (harbor freight)

detail brush.png

OP
OP
calebsmith7

calebsmith7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll probably go to my local fish store sometime this week, they’ll check all of my parameters for me. While I’m there I’ll also pick up some cleaner snails or hermit crabs, whatever the guys there recommend.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back