Can I Double a Salifert Nitrate Test?

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nitrates have either been zero or very low lately. In effort to try and make the test easier to read, I was thinking about doubling the test so there is more liquid to look at.

Salifert standard test is: 1 ml water, 4 drops, 1 scoop, swirl 30, wait 3 minutes

Salifert Doubled Test : 2 ml water, 8 drops, 2 scoop, swirl 30, wait 3 minutes

Would my modified test still be accurate?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nitrates have either been zero or very low lately. In effort to try and make the test easier to read, I was thinking about doubling the test so there is more liquid to look at.

Salifert standard test is: 1 ml water, 4 drops, 1 scoop, swirl 30, wait 3 minutes

Salifert Doubled Test : 2 ml water, 8 drops, 2 scoop, swirl 30, wait 3 minutes

Would my modified test still be accurate?

Depends.

Reading down from the top, the value will show as twice as high, so you divide by 2, because there is twice as much distance for the light to be absorbed.

Reading through the side, the color intensity should be unchanged and you can read as usual.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends.

Reading down from the top, the value will show as twice as high, so you divide by 2, because there is twice as much distance for the light to be absorbed.

Reading through the side, the color intensity should be unchanged and you can read as usual.
Appreciate the thoughts Randy. My Nitrates have been so low that reading through the side is my only option. I'll give it a shot, thanks.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back