Can I flush my RODI by bypassing the DI?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this flush kit but whenever flip the ball valve to flush the TDS does not drop.

I put a T before the DI resin (right after the membrane) and turning the water allows me to flush and lower the initial TDS creep to 5 TDS.

I flush the initial TDS creep before using my RODI every time. Is my way of flushing suitable?

My LFS told me it needed to back flush through the DI. The line I’m holding in the picture is the T that I “flush”. Let me know your thoughts.

image.jpg

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this flush kit but whenever flip the ball valve to flush the TDS does not drop.

I put a T before the DI resin (right after the membrane) and turning the water allows me to flush and lower the initial TDS creep to 5 TDS.

I flush the initial TDS creep before using my RODI every time. Is my way of flushing suitable?

My LFS told me it needed to back flush through the DI. The line I’m holding in the picture is the T that I “flush”. Let me know your thoughts.

image.jpg

What was their reason to back flush DI?

Back flushing isn't typically used in home settings. Only large industrial typically.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice nail :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

sorry I couldn’t resist.. :face-savoring-food:

I don’t know anything about rodi units. So I can’t contribute in a meaningful way. But I’m sure you’ll get some answers

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg

Your way of flushing is suitable, sorry forgot to answer that part of your question.

I flush the initial TDS creep from my unit in the same way

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry! I meant to say back flushing the membrane.

Also something not typical of home settings. At least not true back flushing.

Unless they are just referring to a normal flushing of the membrane, which is usually acomplished via a valve on the reject line after the membrane housing.

The other thing they could be referring to is a permeate water flush, which can be done, but I don't know how popular it is for home users. I know spectrapure sells a kit and pump for this, but I don't know how popular it is for home use.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That flush kit is not designed to remove TDS creep. It flushes the supply side of the membrane.

That is the correct way to remove the TDS creep from your system.

If you backflush thru your membrane you will ruin it.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also something not typical of home settings. At least not true back flushing.

Unless they are just referring to a normal flushing of the membrane, which is usually acomplished via a valve on the reject line after the membrane housing.

The other thing they could be referring to is a permeate water flush, which can be done, but I don't know how popular it is for home users. I know spectrapure sells a kit and pump for this, but I don't know how popular it is for home use.

I have that Spectrapure system at work. It works really good. To perform the flush it pulls water from the RODI container so when the system shuts down the flush is performed and there is 0 TDS water in the membrane housing so no TDS creep can occur. It was easy to purchase with my company credit card do not think I would ever spend that much at home.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that Spectrapure system at work. It works really good. To perform the flush it pulls water from the RODI container so when the system shuts down the flush is performed and there is 0 TDS water in the membrane housing so no TDS creep can occur. It was easy to purchase with my company credit card do not think I would ever spend that much at home.

Yep they are nice, and really help with membrane quality and life.

That flush kit is not designed to remove TDS creep. It flushes the supply side of the membrane.

That is the correct way to remove the TDS creep from your system.

If you backflush thru your membrane you will ruin it.

I missed that question as well.. but yes that flush is just a regular membrane flush, not to remove any TDS. That's where your 'T' after the membrane and before the DI comes in to flush the TDS.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 31.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back