Can I get an ID on these?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2012
Messages
40,649
Reaction score
67,835
Location
Fontana, California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They came in some sand that we got off the coast of Maryland. I'm thinking isopod?? They kind of look like a half shrimp...kind of similar to a horseshoe crab...
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1407543229277.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1407543229277.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 130
  • uploadfromtaptalk1407543250709.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1407543250709.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 183
Also, should I get them out, or will they be alright? Definitely didn't plan on having those guys in there. LOL
 
Sand Fleas. We use to use them for bait when fishing in the Chesapeake Bay.

That makes sense. That's where we got the sand. Are they dangerous to the fish?

Btw, this is a new setup that has no fish or other livestock yet. It's my brother's tank.
 
So after doing a bit of research from what you guys are saying, I'm certain that these are mole crabs. What I read says they aren't dangerous...but they won't survive long-term either. I'm thinking bc of scarcity of food.
 
They are harmless, known as sand fleas or sand sifting crabs. They eat stuff in the sand so they aren't really cut out for tank life sadly.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new