Can I grow a mushroom into a bounce mushroom?

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I don't know much about bounce mushrooms or growing and propagating mushrooms.
I see that they look cool, but are they just a different species of mushroom that inflate or can ordinary ones grow into a bounce given a certain set of growing conditions?

Thanks

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You most certainly can encourage rhodactis and discomas to bounce under the right lighting conditions so to answer your question...
. yes

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I don't know much about bounce mushrooms or growing and propagating mushrooms.
I see that they look cool, but are they just a different species of mushroom that inflate or can ordinary ones grow into a bounce given a certain set of growing conditions?

Thanks
With these observations in mind, we personally believe that lighting is the main factor in the development of bounce, flame and other enlarged portions of Rhodactispolyps. It is completely reasonable to believe that the new lighting technologies we are currently using, particularly with huge spikes in blue spectrum, are partly responsible for the surge of the Bounce phenomenon we are seeing in more and more Rhodactis.

Good article about rhodactis that turn into the hobby “bounce mushrooms”
https://reefbuilders.com/2016/02/09/before-they-were-bounce-shrooms/

OP
OP
R

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With these observations in mind, we personally believe that lighting is the main factor in the development of bounce, flame and other enlarged portions of Rhodactispolyps. It is completely reasonable to believe that the new lighting technologies we are currently using, particularly with huge spikes in blue spectrum, are partly responsible for the surge of the Bounce phenomenon we are seeing in more and more Rhodactis.

Increase in Blue light--that is so cool!

How about water quality or flow?

Thanks!

Wide Eyed Coral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The higher the UV we set our lights to, the more success we see with rhodactis shrooms getting bounces. Typically rhodactis shrooms are the most reliable to get to bounces. The majority of bounce shrooms out there developed their bounce vesicles after they were taken out of the ocean and put under intense aquarium lighting.

OP
OP
R

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The higher the UV we set our lights to, the more success we see with rhodactis shrooms getting bounces. Typically rhodactis shrooms are the most reliable to get to bounces. The majority of bounce shrooms out there developed their bounce vesicles after they were taken out of the ocean and put under intense aquarium lighting.

Thank you for sharing this info!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back