Can I grow algae with only red lights? (ATF)

  • Thread starter Thread starter roibenami
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

roibenami

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 19, 2016
Messages
101
Reaction score
42
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, i just made a DIY algae scrubber and for the lights i picked up 2 led flood lights, the thing is... the ones i picked up are red. i've seen everybody use 90% red and about 10% blue on algae scrubbers and for some reason i figured that getting the red lights will be better then normal white. but these lights are really like dark red, i'm not sure if they can grow algae...

Here's a video of my algae scrubber (the tank is on the other side of the wall, pump in the sump pumps water into the scrubber and it's gravity fed back into the sump through a hole in the wall...



Can anyone tell me if those are good enough? and if not, maybe i can add blue some other way and not replace both led lights... ?

Anyway, any input and feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
 
I am not a professional, but red is one of the best colors to grow algae. The santa monica scrubbers I am pretty sure use all red now. I wouldn't worry too much about not having a blue spectrum.
 
Last edited:
I am not a profession, but red is one of the best colors to grow algae. The santa monica scrubbers I am pretty sure use all red now. I wouldn't worry too much about not having a blue spectrum.

Thanks a lot! that's reassuring.... any other input will be greatly appreciated as well...
 
I did, that's scary that it's not mentioned. It might not have the right or best spectrum, just red light. However algea would likely grow under any light. It just may not work as well as it could, only time will tell..
 
Can't watch the video at the moment, but wondering what failsafe you have for high water level? If your outflow pipe becomes clogged..
 
Can't watch the video at the moment, but wondering what failsafe you have for high water level? If your outflow pipe becomes clogged..

Well i don't have an emergency overflow, but the outflow pipe is about 2" and usually is only 20% full of water.... so it should be fine...
 
You might consider a kill switch, just in case.. I wouldn't necessarily trust a float switch in that environment so I would use an avast ATO sensor, it's a pressure sensor switch with no preset run time. Then if water ever did make it up to the sensor tube it could kill the pump and avoid draining your tank...

Link if you wanna check it out http://www.avastmarine.com/collections/avast-built/products/ato-kit
Happy reefing!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 6 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new