ZJedi's 120g Build

ZJedi945

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started to build/rebuild a used 120 gallon tank and stand I bought from a LFS that was a display. Once I got all the sheeting off of it and cut it down to the size I need this is what I was left with. I will be having a bunch of fun building this setup. Since I have been in the hobby (about 4 years) I have had a 65gal. My goal was always to get a 12o and it is finally happening.

I will be kind of rushing it because I want to keep the sand that came with the tank and add it to the sand from my 65. I am hopping to have roughly 4inches of sand in the tank. Next week should see a lot of progress on this setup.

Parts started to come in today and it was a big part! A Skimz UP39 sump. I just did a unboxing post because there isn't too much information out there about them.

Equipment List:
Tank: 120g 48"x24"x24" Marineland
Overflow: Custom Herbie - Box by Melev
Sump: Skimz UP39
Lighting: Two Ecotech Radions - 1 G3 Pro and 1 G2
Refugium Lighting: Kessil H150 - Magenta
Return Pump: Ecotech Vectra m1
Flow: Ecotech Vortech MP40QD x2 and a MP10w
Skimmer: Nyos 160 - Previously a Skimz SN143 Monster mini
Auto Top Off: Tunze 3155
Heater: HMO-300 Finnex Heater
Contoller: Neptune Apex
Reactors and Supplements: BRS GFO reactor

IMG_4490.JPG

IMG_4493.JPG

Last edited:

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work with the stand thus far, and that sump is spiffy looking!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice start!

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, did you have any issues with your Skimz sump when it was delivered? Nice start, by the way! :)

OP
OP
ZJedi945

ZJedi945

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So part 2 of the BRS UPS train stopped by yesterday and dropped off my new skimmer! A Skimz SN143. All I know is I am super glad that the packing is excellent on all of the skimz products. My sumps box was damaged, but the sump was fine. The skimmer box had a nice big ol' hole in it and it is fine as well. It really is one of the nicest skimmers I have seen so far. Currently I have a Reef Octopus 110ext 4inch and I thought that was awesome, but the skimz is on a different level. I can't wait until I get to switch to the plumbing. Should be fun.

I also got a bunch of Sch80 fittings. After handling these it has me thinking to go Sch80 rather than the white sch40 stuff from lowes. I am pretty sure ether would be just fine. Any input on doing one or the other?

Just curious, did you have any issues with your Skimz sump when it was delivered? Nice start, by the way! :)
What kind of issues are you talking about? Box damage or UPS not bringing to my door?

IMG_4504.JPG

IMG_4506.JPG

IMG_4505.JPG

Last edited:

Reeflogic

Powered by KGB
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a 36" Skimz sump from BRS and the first one was bashed in on the pump side, the replacement sump shipped 2 days later and had cracks in the top and corners. The Skimz stuff ships direct from Skimz, so I can't complain against BRS, but the sump was packed in 1/2" foam and had ZERO warnings on the box that it was fragile. BRS took care of me on the situation, was just curious if yours was damaged, as I have not seen many of these out there yet.

Reeflogic