OP
OP
ZJedi945

ZJedi945

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some more test fitting of the plumbing done before I had to head to work today. It really is coming together. I will probably cement everything tomorrow. Since I have all the unions every where I can just piece it together again when I set it up.

IMG_4513.JPG

IMG_4514.JPG

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. It's great to see another pittsburgher here:)

787will

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all looks good so far! I noticed you said you were going to reuse the sand that was previously in the tank and transfer sand from your 65. I would seriously advise against this as it will give you a major headache down the line with excess nutrients.

OP
OP
ZJedi945

ZJedi945

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all looks good so far! I noticed you said you were going to reuse the sand that was previously in the tank and transfer sand from your 65. I would seriously advise against this as it will give you a major headache down the line with excess nutrients.
I have been really looking for some concrete answers on this one. I spoke with one person that said I should be fine if I mixed it, but this is the last nail in coffin. New sand will be ordered and used. Should I use a tiny amount to seed the new sand though?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good! What do you do for work?

OP
OP
ZJedi945

ZJedi945

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! What do you do for work?
Well thank you! It really took along time to figure out what to do with the tank. A lot a looking through build threads. ;)

As for work, I control all of the building LED ribbon boards. A pretty cool thing is when you put a prompt up that gets the crowd to yell and scream as loud as they can. I wouldn't change it for the world.

787will

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been really looking for some concrete answers on this one. I spoke with one person that said I should be fine if I mixed it, but this is the last nail in coffin. New sand will be ordered and used. Should I use a tiny amount to seed the new sand though?

Mixing the sand won't make any difference, churning up old sand just releases all the waste it's holding! Old sand is just a no go unless it has been throughly washed and dried, and that takes time.
Yes you can use a couple of cups of old to seed the new that's no problem.

OP
OP
ZJedi945

ZJedi945

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp I just ordered 160 lbs of bimini pink sand. I think it would look awesome with that I am planning. I think showing what I am doing in little segments is much better than just all at once. :p

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool!

OP
OP
ZJedi945

ZJedi945

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just got half of my lighting in. The other is above my 65g still. Let just say I have an ecotech thing.... I don't know if I would call it a fetish but maybe.

IMG_4583.JPG

OP
OP
ZJedi945

ZJedi945

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FINALLY I was able to wrap the stand.

First thought was interior hinges, that failed because the doors would have been too big for my liking and I hate doors. They always get in the way for some reason or another:(.

Second was rare earth magnets that were super hard to get apart and were expoxy'd in the stand. That failed as well because once the panels had magnets on them and were installed it didn't take much of all to knock them lose. I used 60 of them before anyone asks. :mad:

SO finally we come to the winner.... as I was sitting there on my nice stool angry and upset... I looked up at my soft top holder I made to hold my top for my jeep. It was like a lightbulb went off!:D Velcro! Holy hell is this stuff great I thought I would need 30 feet of 2 inch velcro, but I don't think I used more than about half of a roll.

Tomorrow I will be putting a the corner trim, top panel trim and the canopy together.
IMG_4614.JPG
IMG_4613.JPG

OP
OP
ZJedi945

ZJedi945

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First photo is of a interior divider wall between electronic compartment and filtration. I am kind of over and done with the whole salt on my apex and ecotech stuffs. Second photo is a mounting piece for ether ecotech controllers or my apex. All I am waiting for is my Melev's Reef overflow box and I should be ready to fill this baby up!

IMG_4620.JPG

IMG_4621.JPG

OP
OP
ZJedi945

ZJedi945

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a quick update of where I currently stand. I got the piece that I needed to really get the ball rolling. I wanted to send thanks to @melev for the awesome overflow box! I was also able to install the intake and exhaust fans for the stand. This is a safety net more than anything. With all of the power supplies and controllers inside the stand I wanted to have this if I needed. cutting the holes and installing the fans would be ***** difficult with a full tank.

Tomorrow might be the day I begin to break down my 65 gallon! OH what a long week it will be!

Shhhh I know the back is ugly BUT it will be against a wall and unseen.

IMG_4625.JPG

IMG_4626.JPG

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good, but did you seal the hole around that locline nozzle yet? If not, add silicone now. Otherwise in a power outage, the tank will drain to that hole.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back