Can I have one?

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve liked the idea of a clam since I moved into setting up my tank 9 months ago. I understood it needed the tank to be fairly mature so haven’t just jumped in. I now have time to consider if there is a suitable one for my tank - please help me out!
I have a Reefer 170 - is there a clam that would be suitable to keep (ideally quite a decorative one too if possible). I appreciate I might still need to leave it a few months assuming I can have one at all.

Cambrian Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it. Maxima clam here from PEA.

mAH2hEdSTNiCTM+DiQlfiQ.jpg

Cambrian Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse my ignorance - what’s PEA? How deep is your tank please? I was under the impression they needed high light - I’d love to have one in my sand bed so I can see it clearly
Pacific East Aquaculture. Only a 14 ga tank. I had him up higher and he settled here and foot attached to rock behind him, so I decided to let him be.

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to deal with my calcium once a week as don’t have a dosing set up - am I right in thinking that, with clams I’d want to keep it at a steady level rather than let it drop a little and raise back up?

AlkCalmist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to deal with my calcium once a week as don’t have a dosing set up - am I right in thinking that, with clams I’d want to keep it at a steady level rather than let it drop a little and raise back up?
With all things in the hobby stability is best. Clams take a little bit to acclimate to there environment and start growing. If there is a large enough dip in cal, the clam will get out of grow mode. And will have to re acclimate before it starts to grow again when and if the calcium levels rise. Also, I wouldn't put it just on your sand bed, it's best to give them a rock to attach too. You can buy specific clam rocks. Algae barn sells them, clams too. If you have any, bristle worms and flat worms can easily kill a clam if you have enough. Bristle worms are active at night mostly, so I would check on him at night now and then. Make sure he isn't being harassed at night.

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do use a critter torch quite regularly and appear to have nothing running around that shouldn’t be. I do not have quarantine facilities but have dipped. Looks like I need to monitor calcium closer?

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to monitor ca, dkh, and n03 closely. Clams use up a bunch of nitrates and it could bottom your tanks nutrients out. Your calcium and alkalinity are tied together, so its best to watch them both regularly as well.

AlkCalmist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is small enough try a all in one solution like all for reef. You can even buy it in 5 an 10 L quantities. It adds alk cal and mag plus trace elements in a balanced level approach. If your in the habit of doing EVER day. And test a couple times a week(alk,cal,n03). With a all in one additive you can buy one doser fo under $60 and be gtg. That's on the cheep and. If you want to go all in a calcium reactor while more expensive will give balanced levels and piece of mind. I wouldn't put a clam in my tank unless I had some type of additive automation. What are you using for additives right now?

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is small enough try a all in one solution like all for reef. You can even buy it in 5 an 10 L quantities. It adds alk cal and mag plus trace elements in a balanced level approach. If your in the habit of doing EVER day. And test a couple times a week(alk,cal,n03). With a all in one additive you can buy one doser fo under $60 and be gtg. That's on the cheep and. If you want to go all in a calcium reactor while more expensive will give balanced levels and piece of mind. I wouldn't put a clam in my tank unless I had some type of additive automation. What are you using for additives right now?
I follow the Red Sea recipes. Wanted what I perceived as ‘ease’ so thought if I followed their teachings....

AlkCalmist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow the Red Sea recipes. Wanted what I perceived as ‘ease’ so thought if I followed their teachings....
There's nothing wrong with that at all, I run the levels on my tank on the red Sea levels. 11.5 alk, 450 cal and 1350 mag. But I don't like however are there additives. They're not pharmaceutical grade, they don't mix well and they leave residue. Same with their salt but I use their salt, because it has that higher KH. I just don't use no pox, can't be used on my system. I recommend you head over to bulk reef supply or tropic Marin. Check out there all for reef. It'll probably be your cheapest method to safely and quickly get a clam. I wouldn't put a clam in my tank without a doser. I'm working on getting my system ready for maxima claims myself. I have a flat worm problem I have to take care of first. For the price of clams, definitely make sure you're ready. There's nothing in this world like watching a full-grown football-sized clam. They're absolutely gorgeous, and they're helping scientists right now develop better solar panels. There the most efficient photosynthesizers in the ocean.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back