Can i have two eels in the same tank?(species specific)

_eels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
thinking of getting eels for the first time, and wondering if i can keep a zebra moray and banana eel in a 475 Litre (130 Gallon). i know this may be a bit small for a zebra eel, and maybe even worse with two eels, but if i give them lots of caves and places to hide, would it be alright? i read that they can work if the banana eel is smaller, im more concerned if they will both be happy in the tank.

if this won’t work, could i get a banana and skeletor eel? or will they fight more commonly?

if neither are okay i’ll be happy with just a banana eel, just wondering if it’s possible while keeping the eels happy.

eelguy97

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think they would be fine personally. Zebras are really chill and bananas are super timid and like to hide aswell. Only issue is zebras grow pretty big and thick so you might need a bigger tank to keep them happy as well as one eel is going to produce a ton of waste so now you’re gonna have two so I hope you have a good sump / skimmer/ filtration because you will need it for sure. But I’m sure they might even hang out together in the same cave afford a while

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

_eels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think they would be fine personally. Zebras are really chill and bananas are super timid and like to hide aswell. Only issue is zebras grow pretty big and thick so you might need a bigger tank to keep them happy as well as one eel is going to produce a ton of waste so now you’re gonna have two so I hope you have a good sump / skimmer/ filtration because you will need it for sure. But I’m sure they might even hang out together in the same cave afford a while
thanks! i haven’t bought anything yet, but i’ll be buying the best equipment available for them when i do. the tank i’m looking to buy is the second biggest at the store, the other one is like double the size but i can’t fit that in my house really.. i’ll check the other stores and see if there’s other options, do you know how big would be enough?

if not, do you know if a banana and skeletor would be happier in the size i originally had planned? thanks so much for your answer:)

Upvote 0

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zebra's are really chill. But they are a deep maroon with white banding. In your last post you referred to the eels as "banana and skeletor". Skeletor makes me wonder if you are thinking of a Tesselata Moray or Chain Link Moray rather than a Zebra.

Zebra's are very docile. The are about as blind an eel as you can get and feeding them is a riot because you constantly have to be putting the food right in front of their face as they swim past it. It's almost impossible for them to capture live foods.

Bananas are usually quite calm as well. However Zebra's don't usually show up in the industry as small juveniles. They are usually several feet long when they show up. The Banana's are significantly smaller and alot less girth for the same size eel. A Zebra could inadvertently eat a banana without any ill intentions.

If you are thinking of a Tesselata with it's skeletor or giraffe like pattern on it. Then that's a different story. A Tessy gets big, and mean. And if the opportunity popped up it would devour eels of smaller sizes.

Dave B

Upvote 0

eelguy97

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks! i haven’t bought anything yet, but i’ll be buying the best equipment available for them when i do. the tank i’m looking to buy is the second biggest at the store, the other one is like double the size but i can’t fit that in my house really.. i’ll check the other stores and see if there’s other options, do you know how big would be enough?

if not, do you know if a banana and skeletor would be happier in the size i originally had planned? thanks so much for your answer:)
Bananas don’t get that big and same with skeletor so your setup would be great for them it’s more the zebra that you have to accommodate the space because they also get thick unlike the other two who stay quieter slender. And I agree with o2manyfish make sure it’s not a tesselata eel because those are mean and huge and would eat a banana. As a tiny baby they look super similar to skeletors as well

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

_eels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zebra's are really chill. But they are a deep maroon with white banding. In your last post you referred to the eels as "banana and skeletor". Skeletor makes me wonder if you are thinking of a Tesselata Moray or Chain Link Moray rather than a Zebra.

Zebra's are very docile. The are about as blind an eel as you can get and feeding them is a riot because you constantly have to be putting the food right in front of their face as they swim past it. It's almost impossible for them to capture live foods.

Bananas are usually quite calm as well. However Zebra's don't usually show up in the industry as small juveniles. They are usually several feet long when they show up. The Banana's are significantly smaller and alot less girth for the same size eel. A Zebra could inadvertently eat a banana without any ill intentions.

If you are thinking of a Tesselata with it's skeletor or giraffe like pattern on it. Then that's a different story. A Tessy gets big, and mean. And if the opportunity popped up it would devour eels of smaller sizes.

Dave B
i think i said skeletor originally because that was my original plan, until i heard about zebra morays, this was a while ago so i forget now lol.

yes my local fish shop had a zebra and a banana, they still have the banana but the zebra was sold awhile ago:( waiting until they get another one if i still get eels.

i’ve seen people with zebras and bananas so i can only hope the banana wont get eaten.. hopefully if i give them a big enough tank with enough places to hide and enough food then they will be fine together.

someone said id need bigger than 500L, so im still trying to figure out where i could fit that hahaha, thank you

Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think i said skeletor originally because that was my original plan, until i heard about zebra morays, this was a while ago so i forget now lol.

yes my local fish shop had a zebra and a banana, they still have the banana but the zebra was sold awhile ago:( waiting until they get another one if i still get eels.

i’ve seen people with zebras and bananas so i can only hope the banana wont get eaten.. hopefully if i give them a big enough tank with enough places to hide and enough food then they will be fine together.

someone said id need bigger than 500L, so im still trying to figure out where i could fit that hahaha, thank you
Mines a 125 gallon. Both my morays are smaller in adult size and they are still growing so I have time for them! My jeweled likes to swim sometimes while Ive never seen the snowflake leave her cave!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

_eels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes
Bananas don’t get that big and same with skeletor so your setup would be great for them it’s more the zebra that you have to accommodate the space because they also get thick unlike the other two who stay quieter slender. And I agree with o2manyfish make sure it’s not a tesselata eel because those are mean and huge and would eat a banana. As a tiny baby they look super similar to skeletors as well

Mines a 125 gallon. Both my morays are smaller in adult size and they are still growing so I have time for them! My jeweled likes to swim sometimes while Ive never seen the snowflake leave her cave!
awe cool :0 the snowflake at my lfs doesn’t leave the cave either, i guess it’s pretty normal for them

Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes

awe cool :0 the snowflake at my lfs doesn’t leave the cave either, i guess it’s pretty normal for them
Yeah shes a very sweet eel! My jeweled is too but Im pretty sure he might have eaten my new cleaner wrasse-.-

Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh jeez i guess it’s a hit or miss with stuff like that
Yeah thought he would be okay since the jeweled hasnt eaten my blenny or so much as looked at him but apparently wrasse wasnt luck

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back