Can I join your club? 60 gal build

tbone74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started a build on another forum but I wanted to post here as well...

I reciently purchased a 24" cube tank from a LFS here in vegas. I already have a 240gal mixed reef and I have been wanting to set up a smaller tank to house some fish that I can not put in my reef. The tank was drilled at the LFS accidently incorrectly, meaning the holes were put in the wrong spot for the customer. Hence to say, I got a great deal.

CubeTank_zps604899a2.jpg

My plan is to build an internal overflow box, stand, DIY sump and ATO. I ordered a reef octopus skimmer and a reefbreeders LED light.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and good luck with your new build. We'd love to see some pics of your 240g tank.

-M&T

OP
OP
T

tbone74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I siliconed the overflow onto the tank.. I learned the hard way that 3 years expired silicone doesn't set and is a mess to clean off! I had to remove the box, clean the mess and reapply fresh GE Silicone1.

IMAG0519_zps8cfab3cb.jpg

OP
OP
T

tbone74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to utilize a full siphon with an emergency drain as well with the two hole already drilled. Not sure what it's called, bean animal, herbie... not sure :eek:oh:

So I went ahead and made the siphon on the left and the emergency on the right. The return is 3/4 and I am going to use a mag 9 for the time being until I can talk the wife into letting me buy a new pump. It was hard enough getting the green light to start the tank in the first place!

IMAG0525_zps19dcce10.jpg

OP
OP
T

tbone74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to work on the stand, I plan on staining it very dark prolly espresso. I am waiting on a friend to borrow his rail and stile cutting router bits so I can get the doors made.

IMAG0558_zps4814bc0d.jpg

IMAG0557_zps601efc68.jpg

OP
OP
T

tbone74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I primed and painted inside the stand the stand as well as painted all the plumbing flat black and installed an American DJ power strip under the tank accessible from the front door.

I made an ATO with a few electronics parts. I think I saw it here on another build, if I can find it I will give credit where credit is due:angel:

Here is a pic of the parts, I think I have about $35 into it. If I built another I could probably get it done for about $10 cheaper now that I have the wire nuts and such.

ATO_zps7b43e148.jpg

Here is a pic of the finished unit. There are two floats wired in series so one acts as a safety if the other fails. I first wired in a 12v led to indicate when the unit is running but somehow burnt it out so I decided to use a 110v one instead and wired it directly to the outlet.

ATO2_zps5c5f54bd.jpg

OP
OP
T

tbone74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's build some doors!

Glued up some panels

Raised panel doors glued up and waiting for the glue to dry

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

• I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

• Other.

Back