Can I make money?

Massic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll preface this by saying I'm only a year and a half into the hobby, so this may be a response that is specific to me.

If your question is simply "Can I make money from the hobby" I think the short answer is yes, whether you are talking net vs gross is a more complex answer.

If you have interest in the biology, chemistry, and animal husbandry, that will allow you to enjoy the substantial time , energy and financial commitments that you need to start with.

I make money on the side selling my excess macro algae and frags. I haven't gotten into raising fry yet but am looking to try by the end of the summer.

I don't make much, but my tanks are fuller and more colorful than my "outside" income alone would allow. I don't run top of the line gear, I build a lot of the stuff myself when I can (which has been a great experience in itself) but I still have enough growing in my tank that I have some to trade and sell.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer: not anytime soon, and never enough to come close to breaking even. After 7 years cultivating my current reef, I do occasionally sell or trade frags, but inevitably, I still spend more on coral than I raise in any given month or year.
Lol

Lots of people who go to Frag Swaps do make some money, but it gets offset by the cost of transportation, setting up shop etc...sure you might make $500.00

But inevitably, the dude 4 tables across from you has a frag you've been coveting for years and he will gladly sell it to you for $350. You buy it, only making enough $$$ to cover gas/food/Travel and enough left over for some premium aquarium salt!
:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes::rolleyes::loudly-crying-face::loudly-crying-face:

CavamaroZ28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the hobby for maybe 8 years. I currently have a 60g that's packed out. I constantly trade locally and if I want to buy a 400$ frag or a piece of equipment, I sell enough to buy it. It's very possible to float the hobby that way or at liest cut the costs more than half, but it takes a long time and alot of money to get to that point.

SLOfizz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings,

I am excited to get the hobby underway. But I am curious am I able to make money from the hobby? Enough to keep the hobby going or extra on the side? Can I make money at selling premade saltwater or RODI water? Can I make money selling coral and fish? Anything I can make money from I would like to know. Any experiences you have please share, good and/or bad.

*Edit* I realize I can sell everything, but what I am asking is am I really making money after expenses?
If you don’t know already, you’ll be better off getting a job instead.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could! Delicate creatures.

It's not that creepy! She has beautiful work. Sadly, not a lot of good pictures.
others.jpg 245656097_5100395779977123_9006192229033911525_n.jpg
Looks nice, she needs to get on ETSY!
017E4C9A-6A5C-45CC-992A-7D2BFA0ED026.gif

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with most with the yeah its possible, but not likely. At least not likely anytime soon. I run a LFS and people do trade things in. I give them other coral in exchange. I imagine most areas you could probably trade coral frags or pods or whatever for things like salt or rodi filters or other maintenance products.

I have a few different friends who sell coral either online or in person and I can think of 2 of them that could probably cover the operating costs of running the systems with the money brought in by coral sales. That does not include the 10s of thousands of dollars that were spent in setting up those systems or those fancy trendy coral that are being grown in those systems.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220 tank full of acros that have been growing for four years (been in the hobby for 24 years). I sell quite a few frags and I aim for about half of what online vendors charge. I only sell locally, but I’m in a big city. I’d say that I can cover most all of my expenses with coral money these days unless I need/want a new piece of equipment. Some months I don’t try to sell coral whatsoever, but there have been a few months when I’ve made $1,000 plus.

I did my first frag swap last weekend and made $1,400. I only did this because I’m moving soon and wanted to cut back my colonies.

So yes, you can break even or even profit in this hobby, but it takes years to get there, a lot of know how, and some luck to avoid tragedies.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have at it! Let us know how it goes!

When you are letting us know, make sure that you pay for the corals, all equipment, and your time, before you claim to be making money.

My opinion is that there are far far easier ways to make considerably more money. Almost any job, for example, will pay more for most people.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just email these guys that you’re currently accepting offers and you’ll make money!

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to be mean or sound harsh just telling you how it is. So please don't take it that way.

I think first off you need to worry about just getting your system setup and deal1 with all that comes with setting up a new system. Once your system is set up and you go through the ugly phase, then you will have to start the battle to get your system/water parameters stable. Once your system is stable, say 1-3 years from now. To really make money you have to spend money on high end coral frags grow them out and make a few frags to sell. If the high end frags stay survive nothing is guaranteed in this hobby. I'll be the first person to say that coral die. I've lost many many nice peices for whatever reason. Reef keeping takes a lot of patience and passion. Also this hobby is not cheap. Once your up and running and have coral sure you can make some money. But the amount of money depends on your coral your growing. If you want to make money real money once your tank is really stable and you know what your doing start buying high end sps frags high end gonipora and grow them out.
I have been in the hobby since 2007 and I have learned alot and still learning new things all the time.
If you need any help or advice just pm me and I'll help ya.

Mkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once your tanks up and running well corals will grow and some split anemones I just sold a purple acid one for $130.00 and I have a bunch of mini blood red carpets that sell for $200.00 online so yes you can make a return on your investments in corals but I will take awhile,
My friends “free fire mushroom “ split 5 times at $300.00 a pop he was pretty happy I’m sure!

ineption

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings,

I am excited to get the hobby underway. But I am curious am I able to make money from the hobby? Enough to keep the hobby going or extra on the side? Can I make money at selling premade saltwater or RODI water? Can I make money selling coral and fish? Anything I can make money from I would like to know. Any experiences you have please share, good and/or bad.

*Edit* I realize I can sell everything, but what I am asking is am I really making money after expenses?
Simple answer is yes you can. However it will take 3 to 5 years for you to really understand what you are doing & in that time grow rare coral to decent size to be able to sell on.

Jymyh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly, it's possible to make money from a hobby. Many people turn their passions into profitable businesses or side hustles. It just takes some creativity, dedication, and willingness to learn new skills. If your hobby involves a particular skill, such as photography or graphic design, you could offer your services as a freelancer or consultant. Of course, not every hobby is equally profitable.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Seems like it has already been answered, but the short answer is that you can supplement your hobby with the caveat of risk and supply and demand.

There are some great suggestions already, but check with your LFS if they give store credit for frag trade-ins as this will offset some costs and certainly can be the easiest way to offload some frags. Second, understand your local market. If no one reefs near you, much harder time to make some cash. Along with knowing the local market, understand what people want. Having a common zoa will be harder to offload vs some nice premium ones except you'll have to have a market for those nicer zoas. Lastly, understand that it won't be cheap. The up front costs are high and even if you buy a nice coral to frag, it could die, could take forever to grow, or could just be undesirable.

People that are making money are buying expensive things like OG bounce mushrooms, jawbreakers, stratospheres and selling those, but the risk is always that they melt and you lose a "harvest" so to say.

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings,

15000 later. NOT.

ArtisticReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s like owning a boat … a hole in the water you throw money into … and yet still love it!!!

Make sure you can manage the cost. I found Zoas, Duncan’s, frogspawn & hammers grew fast and sold well.

SneaksMcdoogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings,

hope you don’t mind me replying I know it’s a bit of an old post,

Firstly I’d love to know how your doing almost a year later?

Second you can make small amounts here and there to support the hobby yes, either in trade or a few bucks here and there. As with every venture of you do want to be the next bill gates of reefing you’ll need lots of drive, luck, dedication, and a huge support group and friends and family.

Third im sorry for the amount of posts not responding like this one. Best of luck reefing

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not read all the posts.

I did read the one about a reef tank being like a boat being a hole in the water you throw money in. Agree

I feel like a reef tank is also like owning a horse. If it ain't winning the Kentucky Derby, it is costing you money. So, run for the roses...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back