can I place a lot of new corals coming in on sandbed and will they sting as small frags

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went extremely overboard on bidding and winning corals on ebay auctions. I always start hem out on sandbed and never gave much thought to them stinging each other as baby frags. Can small frags still sting each other? How far apart should I place them?

They are all lps and softies like shrooms and zoas. LPs are acans, hammers, chalice, torches, gonioporas, blastos, plate, acan enchanita, I just read that acan enchata is one of the worst corals to get and I won one for only 12 bucks but not worth it stinging and killing other corals, especially since I won so many and have to place pretty close to each other so I may ask if I can cancel the coral. Not all that crazy about them anyway but just got it because the current bid was so low.

Of all I mentioned which should I worry the most about stinging each other? I wish I hand not of gone so crazy! LOL I am putting them in 2 tanks but both are small like a 36 gallon and a 20. I got some dirt cheap and just couldnt resist! haha.

How soon can I get a tank up and running if I trade things over to a bigger tank? I have 1 75 gallon and want to shut down my 36. I was going to start from scratch and wait it out but got to thinking since this has been going about a 18 months or more if I transfer everything over sand, rocks, water and add a bit more rocks and sand if Its almost like doing a water change so should be ready much faster! I gave the other tanks 4 months b4 turning lights on and never had an ugly stage so that concerns me and don't want to get things off to a bad start!

Sorry to make this a double post! LOL

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, like varieties can be close to each other. Acans can touch acans, torch on torch, hammers on hammers, zoa on zoa. Make little sections like that and try to keep space from any that can have nighttime sweeper tentacles. Thats how i would go about it.
As far as quick setup, i would still go through the motions of a new tank cycle. But someone may have more (Quicker setup) advice on that.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would probably get a million different answers about the quick upgrade and the safest way to do it. I upgraded my 40g to a 75 using the exact method you described and killed most of my coral. The fish and inverts were fine, but only a few mushrooms and zoas survived.

OP
OP
nano reef

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would probably get a million different answers about the quick upgrade and the safest way to do it. I upgraded my 40g to a 75 using the exact method you described and killed most of my coral. The fish and inverts were fine, but only a few mushrooms and zoas survived.
WOW! I wonder what caused them to die? Wouldnt it basically be cycled? I guess maybe adding stuff thats uncycled like rocks and sand must be the culprit. I noticed that after adding some dead sand into my tank and also some frag holders that were large caused me to have a bad algae bloom! I also have some dying corals too. Not sure if thats why. I did have a salinity swing as well! I added more bioballs too but I soaked them in mb7 first. Maybe all that combined.

When I vacuum sandbed it pulls out so much sand each time but next time I wll add live sand. As far as my new tank I think I will do the transfer but have some xtra rock cycling separately in a bin or something first before switching over! I dont wat to kill any of my corals especially my new ones I just spent so much money one!

Sorry that happened to you! That sucks:(

OP
OP
nano reef

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, like varieties can be close to each other. Acans can touch acans, torch on torch, hammers on hammers, zoa on zoa. Make little sections like that and try to keep space from any that can have nighttime sweeper tentacles. Thats how i would go about it.
As far as quick setup, i would still go through the motions of a new tank cycle. But someone may have more (Quicker setup) advice on that.
I just got an acan enchanita and heard they have crazy long sweepers! I dont even like them that much but this was cheap and very pretty and colorful! Not sure if it is worth the risk! I have never seen any of my corals have sweepers except pectinia. I need to get up in the middle of night with flashlight one night to see! I also suppose since they are so small their sweepers wouldnt be as long as a full size colony!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 44.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 33.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back