Can I put a jellyfish in my reef tank ?!

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a dumb question I know they can’t have powerheads but all I use is my overflow pump I have very slow current and mostly lps corals was jw if they would be able to survive ?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a dumb question I know they can’t have powerheads but all I use is my overflow pump I have very slow current and mostly lps corals was jw if they would be able to survive ?
As far as I know, no powerheads, pumps, or overflows can be used. Eventually the jelly would be sucked up by them.

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you can its highly advised against. 1 i wouldnt put jellies with fish, 2 if they die they can wreck your tank, 3 they have alot of needs that need to be kept for the jellyfish's health. Theirs a reason why theirs speicify made tanks that just house only jellies with no rock/coral.

See snippet of a common jellyfish thats often kept by reefers.

Because of its delicate body and slow-moving nature, the Violet Jellyfish, should be housed in a marine aquarium dedicated to jellyfish. In fact, the ideal Violet Jellyfish, setup should be a specialized "jellyfish aquarium" with curved or rounded corners. More importantly the water flow within the aquarium must have gentle circular laminar flow to keep the Violet Jellyfish suspended in the water column. Décor is unnecessary and is often harmful or detrimental as any rough or sharp edges can damage the Violet Jellyfish. Other special care requirements include the minimization of air bubbles as air bubbles can get trapped in the jellyfish "bell" and compromise its ability to move and feed properly, or even cause serious harm. Similar to other invertebrates, the Violet Jellyfish, is extremely intolerant of copper levels.

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that I just don’t see how it can get sucked up the flow is so slow I really wanna tryyyyy

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like to compare them to floating bags in a flow current since its almost how they act. they hit something thats pointy they can get caught on it or under a rock cliff.

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I jw has anyone actually tried ? There’s no posts of anyone even trying they’re only 20 bucks feel like it’s worth the try or I’m just being selfish just really want oneeee lol

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mean you try at your own risk, i just advise you not to attempt it in a tank with any fish or high value corals. if it dies you might lose everything.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I jw has anyone actually tried ? There’s no posts of anyone even trying they’re only 20 bucks feel like it’s worth the try or I’m just being selfish just really want oneeee lol
If you can successfully keep a mixed reef (or say maybe a mandarin or scooter goby would translate better) I imagine you’d have some success with jellyfish.

assuming the level of know how and competence would be similar to that of a jelly fish

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that I just don’t see how it can get sucked up the flow is so slow I really wanna tryyyyy
What you’re saying is that you really want to kiiillll a jellyfish and potentially other animals in your tank. Jellyfish need circular tanks, otherwise they get caught in the corners and injure themselves, if there’s decor or rock they get caught on that. I can assure that if your only flow is the return pump, it’s both not enough and too much (not enough laminar flow, too much direct/pointed flow). Don’t be an irresponsible reefer, don’t purchase animals you know are nearly 100% likely to die in your tank. These are living animals, not inanimate objects or disposable toys that only exist for your enjoyment.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want them to live longer than a day or 2 you need a kreisil or pseudo kreisil

Attachments

• Types-of-culture-aquaria-for-jellyfi-sh-a-Kreisel-tank-b-Pseudo-kreisel-c.png
    Types-of-culture-aquaria-for-jellyfi-sh-a-Kreisel-tank-b-Pseudo-kreisel-c.png
    254.7 KB · Views: 107

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 buddy if you really want to keep one, plz keep it in a jelly fish only tank.

otherwise whether it’s 1 day or 1 month you’re basically just buying it to manslaughter it later.

FishRN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Accidentally introduced a jellyfish into an old reef tank during a water change with natural sea water.... ticked off all the corals and multiple fish looked irritated. Plus I had an algae bloom when I couldn’t get every last piece out when it inevitably got shredded on the rocks.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mandarin ...if it does die do they release a toxin I’m guessing?

I have a mandarin ...if it does die do they release a toxin I’m guessing?
If you have a mandarin I was under the assumption you would’ve studied enough about it and it’s cycle through life and death but I see possibly not?

I encourage you to make a list of everything you have in your tank , live stock, coral et all and research each one separately as much as you can.

your success in reefing will be all that better.

wouldn’t you want someone keeping you alive to know what you need to live? I.e. your parents.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back