Can I remove carbon if using chaeto? What does carbon remove that chaeto doesn't?

Dave Clark

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 2, 2023
Messages
195
Reaction score
134
Location
New Mexico, USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I've been using BRS Rox 0.8 carbon in my nano tank since I set it up. Recently I've added chaeto to control pH, and have noticed that my nitrates and phosphate levels now regularly measure at zero.

I've attempted to do online research, but the chemistry is confusing to me. Does carbon bind any undesirable substances that are not removed by chaeto? I'm wondering if I should remove the carbon.

Thanks in advance.
 
Carbon is good for polishing the water and absorbing other compounds in your water
 
Typically, carbon is not run 24/7.

I run carbon whenever I run GFO (in the same reactor) which at the moment is ~2-3 weeks a month so I'm almost at full time though. I have some really large leather corals though that can release toxins in the water so I figure I'm mitigating any effects from those corals.
 
Typically, carbon is not run 24/7.

I run carbon whenever I run GFO (in the same reactor) which at the moment is ~2-3 weeks a month so I'm almost at full time though. I have some really large leather corals though that can release toxins in the water so I figure I'm mitigating any effects from those corals.
I believe that Randy Holmes Farley runs Rox carbon 24/7 in his tanks. Anyway, I’m curious as to whether chaeto can replace carbon.
 
Chaeto is primarily to remove nutrients phosphate and nitrate etc. Activated carbon (for our purposes) removes larger organic molecules-toxins, pigments, etc and some other pollutants. There is little functional overlap.

Are you confusing activated carbon (Rox) with carbon dosing (vinegar etc)? Those are completely different.
 
Chaeto is primarily to remove nutrients phosphate and nitrate etc. Activated carbon (for our purposes) removes larger organic molecules-toxins, pigments, etc and some other pollutants. There is little functional overlap.

Are you confusing activated carbon (Rox) with carbon dosing (vinegar etc)? Those are completely different.
No, I was referring to chemical filtration via activated carbon.

Thank you for answering my question.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new