Can I run my uv yet?

  • Thread starter Thread starter manny14
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

manny14

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 20, 2022
Messages
88
Reaction score
23
Location
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a blue hippo with ich last week, gold rim had small sports too. I dosed 20mL of cupramine on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday - on Saturday my tank read 0.25 according to selifert cu test. My tank is fish only, 210 gallons.

My blue has shown a lot of improvement and my gold is fine, nobody has ever shown any signs of anything so I added cuprisorb to the sump yesterday. How long do I have to wait to run my uv? It’s a Pentair 40W
 
Not possible, it's not gonna kill any tank inhabitants no matter when you plug it in.
 
Not possible, it's not gonna kill any tank inhabitants no matter when you plug it in.
I shut it off when I dosed last Monday.

I just don’t see the point in continuing to dose my DT with cupramine if the one fish who’s probably the most sensitive in the tank, is showing ich. I’ve read and talked to a few LFS people and they said if he’s eating and swimming good really not to be worried. Idk what to do haha
 
Hi! You would need to remove all of the ionic copper before turning on your UV. If I’m not mistaken, ionic copper (cupramine) is made more potent, ie toxic when exposed to UV. Chelated copper (copper power) can be in the system and does not become toxic when exposed to UV.

Also, you would need to follow the directions on the bottle to resolve ich. Again, it’s been a minute since I’ve read in the disease forum, but a minimum of 30 days in a therapeutic copper environment to kill the ich lifecycle is needed if dosing in a display. Please read Jay’s ich treatment guide and search the forum for people who have added copper to their display tanks for guidance. Good luck!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new