Can I save it?

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
One of the two SPS I recieved Wednesday has lost most of its tissue this morning. It looked great yesterday... and everything in the tank looks great still. Should I cut the remaining tip off that looks alive and frag? There’s still pulps on the whole coral. 2nd pic is just other frags I received last week looking good.
BE474866-7ED5-488C-A2CC-C96A8B17FBD2.jpeg
8D9FF5B2-8222-42FC-BB91-E9D3661F4B77.jpeg

OP
OP
Williamson’s Reef

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’d frag the very tip off. Looks like a goner below that.
That’s my thoughts also. Expensive loss if the tip doesn’t make it either ...RR orange passion. I didn’t even dip it because of the cost. And I’ve yet to get/see a pest when dipping from the vendor it came from.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s my thoughts also. Expensive loss if the tip doesn’t make it either ...RR orange passion. I didn’t even dip it because of the cost. And I’ve yet to get/see a pest when dipping from the vendor it came from.
I would leave it alone. I’ve had frags come back from complete white skeleton and polyp bailout. Cutting them doesn’t help ime, it just increases the chances it will die.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not looking good. Unfortunatly looks like fresh cut frag also. Which imo makes it harder to acclimate after the stress of shipping. For something that expensive I would have hoped to have seen a little growth at the base. And of course 3 days in your probably on your own for that frag too.

OP
OP
Williamson’s Reef

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's not looking good. Unfortunatly looks like fresh cut frag also. Which imo makes it harder to acclimate after the stress of shipping. For something that expensive I would have hoped to have seen a little growth at the base. And of course 3 days in your probably on your own for that frag too.
I’m going to reach out to the vendor. I won’t order another frag that looks fresh cut again. Lesson learned.

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 sources for my sps frags.
The frags from one of them are always encrusting on the plug and they do very well in my display.
The other look freshly cut with no encrusting and I have lost at least 50% of them.
Lesson learnt. It's just a pity that the vendor who sells the fresh cut frags has a much better selection of nicer acros.

OP
OP
Williamson’s Reef

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have 2 sources for my sps frags.
The frags from one of them are always encrusting on the plug and they do very well in my display.
The other look freshly cut with no encrusting and I have lost at least 50% of them.
Lesson learnt. It's just a pity that the vendor who sells the fresh cut frags has a much better selection of nicer acros.
I’ve ordered from from a hand full of vendors... same here.

OP
OP
Williamson’s Reef

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It didn’t make it. But the vendor did say he’d give me a discount on another one as I had asked. Hopefully the next one makes it. I really want this coral.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one looks like it’s toast to me regardless of what you do.

*looks like your update beat me by a second. Sucks when you lose the one you really want in an order. I’ve been on a bad run of DOAs on the coral from the last few orders that made me actually place the order. Of course the filler stuff always makes it fine.

Back