Can I save my blastomussa?

Chicken_Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way I can save this blasto? When I got him he was doing great but now he’s close to death and my other blastos are doing great. My chemistry is ok I’m new to the hobby but my alkalinity and calcium are where they should be and salinity is also good. The only thing that I could see of issue was the lighting (which I’ve upgraded) was inconsistent since you had To turn it on manually and I wasn’t around the exact time to do it. First picture is of the dying blasto and the second is from the ones doing well.

image.jpg image.jpg

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White light pictures and actual numbers are going to be asked for. They are needed for people to help you.

OP
OP
C

Chicken_Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully I did this right but here’s the salifert tests. This is my second time doing it so go easy on me. I also attached that the white light photo. Thanks for the help guys!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 59
OP
OP
C

Chicken_Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully I did this right but here’s the salifert tests. This is my second time doing it so go easy on me. I also attached that the white light photo. Thanks for the help guys!
Oh sorry so the first one is for calcium and the second is for alkalinity. I don’t have the magnesium since they were out of stock and trust me if I had the money I would’ve gone for the digital ones in a heartbeat. Maybe when I get my bonus I’ll splurge.

OP
OP
C

Chicken_Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I know you are trying but a lot more info is needed. We will be able to help you better then.
What kind of info do you guys need? I genuinely don’t know how to read it. I’ve been trying to go in person with a professional but he’s been out but I’ll see him Saturday.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know at first it is hard, been there and got the T-Shirt. A year from now you’ll be doing it in your sleep, trust me. Here is what we need. Nitrates, phosphates, alk, ph, calcium and magnesium. Please don’t get frustrated, we are here to help, which we want to.

OP
OP
C

Chicken_Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know at first it is hard, been there and got the T-Shirt. A year from now you’ll be doing it in your sleep, trust me. Here is what we need. Nitrates, phosphates, alk, ph, calcium and magnesium. Please don’t get frustrated, we are here to help, which we want to.
I don’t have the test for the other things but could get it done at a fish store I trust. Trust me I’m not frustrated I chose the hobby and I know what I got myself into now lol. I’m willing to admit mistakes and learn as much as I can from the professionals like you guys!

OP
OP
C

Chicken_Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is not one of us that have not made mistakes, just a little more experience. Get those test kits and get back to us.
I have the crappy test strips I was talked into buying on my first day but they don’t work at all. The only one that works on it is the ammonia. But like I said I’ll splurge and get the digital ones.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the crappy test strips I was talked into buying on my first day but they don’t work at all. The only one that works on it is the ammonia. But like I said I’ll splurge and get the digital ones.
Do what you Gotta do and get back to us! For now low light and flow, mine are almost shadowed by my monti cap and are thriving.
CACC0DEE-DBF6-4032-A56A-A2BEEBCB769A.jpeg

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the results of those tests rather than pics of the syringes. How long has the tank been set up? Young tanks are prone to significant swings in parameters. How long have the other bladtos been there? What lights are being used? IMO those blastos are done. Need to help you work on stability to keep the others thriving.

OP
OP
C

Chicken_Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the results of those tests rather than pics of the syringes. How long has the tank been set up? Young tanks are prone to significant swings in parameters. How long have the other bladtos been there? What lights are being used? IMO those blastos are done. Need to help you work on stability to keep the others thriving.
So I think the calcium is 350 and the alkalinity was at 10 and the tank has been running for a month with rocks and media from my other tank has been running for 8 months now. The other blastos are fairly new about a month old now and I’m running the AI prime 16 with all the blues at 100% and the whites around 42% might turn down cause algae is going crazy. Also going to upgrade my filtration just waiting on that to arrive. I do weekly water change at about 3 gallons and every other week I do 5 it’s a 13.5 gallon system. And you’re right I inspected them closely and I don’t think there’s much I can do for those but want to keep my other coral healthy and growing.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw the Salifert Ca syringe is meant to be read upside down after reaching the color change. The numbers are printed to be read that way. With the tip on, you will get an air gap (the volume of the tip); ignore that and read it from the top edge of the stopper. That's what I do anyways.. Good luck.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back