Can i use a cup of wet sand from the beach?

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Thanks for clarifying. I will tell you this, i have experienced first hand ,in a different application (probiotics), bacteria products do work. However, some brands have more viable cultures than others, and some dont have any at all(dead). All the ones ive used are freeze dried but havent tried any probiotics in liquid. Thansk again for the information.

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr Reef ive been wanting badly to read the link you posted, but been so busy lately with work, 3 dogs, 2 cats, a ferret, 3 tanks, and feeding 10 stray cats in my area. Not to mention setting up a tank for my significant other at her place. Havent had any time to myself but will try to absord all that good info this wkend. Thanks!

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This random thread may be one of the best sources on here for learning about nitriying bacteria.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question, yes you can go to the beach, get some sand and put it in your tank. I have been adding mud to my 47 year old tank since I started it. No problems yet and I add mud or sand from the sea every chance I get. It's the sterile tanks with no new bacteria that have the problems. I also don't believe in bacteria from a bottle when you have an entire ocean of it and it is free. I am sure the bacteria in the bottle are very bored.
All of your fish came from the ocean, none of them came from a bottle, think about that for a minute.

I have been taking mud from here for decades and I now use 100% NSW.
If a scientist, researcher, marine biologist professor or Cousteau's Grand Son tells you something different, ask to see their tank and then ask how old it is. :D

Last edited:

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can take samples from anywhere or nowhere; these bacteria are ubiquitous. Prior to bottled bacteria and far from the ocean, it used to be common to take some ordinary garden soil, mix it with a cup of tank water, let it settle, and use the supernatant liquid to seed the tank. Only difference is how long it takes for the cycle to complete. Some bottled bacteria will speed that up, some won't (either suboptimal product or suboptimal handling of an effective product.)

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mother nature at her best. Paul, IIRC you had an in wall tank with wood panelings ,and a wood overlay light fixture on another tank back in the days,so funky and cool at the same time. Love that pic!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, can i do that to seed my tank? I plan to get like 2-3 cups of wet sand, put them in a stocking and when im done cycling i can remove it if need be.

1985 when I was reef keeping then, to get pods cheap, just went to socal tide pools. Got all the pods (only pods) I wanted.
So about sand, I'd do it. If sand from tropical area even better.

xclusive252

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always used live rock from a friends tank and always returned the favor. I keep a nice size rock in my sump for this reason.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv'e added sand,silt& a little mud. twice now . I really didn't see any change what so ever.
I'm not against adding natural sand or such from the sea. but it's a drive for me to find
pristine waters

GrimReefer51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ Terry nice tank!

Well i got about a gallon of sand from my local beach and my tank cycled in 3 days. Not trying to go against anyone advise. I just wanted to experiment it, if it works out ok i might go this route again to cycle future tanks. If not, im out of $5 gas money for the drive to the beach.
Hey I know its been a long time but I'm curious to know if you've had success doing this. Im cycling a tank and thinking about going down to the beach, getting some sand, and placing it in my AIO rear chamber.

What do you think?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back