Can I use Coral from a copper treated tank in my DT?

MustaLine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of coral (actual coral, not rock) from a DT some 30+ years ago that was treated repeatedly with copper at the time. The coral has been sitting idle since then, mostly decorative pieces around the house or in a bin because I might use it again someday...

Someday has come, starting up a new tank and would like to use this coral in addition to the Marco rock base I have started. I do plan to have inverts in addition to fish LPS / SPS coral etc. I don't want the possible copper to preclude me from adding anything to this tank.

Will the previous copper treatments to the coral (30 years ago) cause me trouble in this new tank? Can I just monitor and treat with Cuprisorb etc if needed or is this just not worth the risk because I'm asking for all kinds of trouble from the start with a brand new system?

Please note - I would not seek out once-living coral that came from a reef at this point. I would just like to use what I have already if it's possible.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of coral (actual coral, not rock) from a DT some 30+ years ago that was treated repeatedly with copper at the time. The coral has been sitting idle since then, mostly decorative pieces around the house or in a bin because I might use it again someday...

Someday has come, starting up a new tank and would like to use this coral in addition to the Marco rock base I have started. I do plan to have inverts in addition to fish LPS / SPS coral etc. I don't want the possible copper to preclude me from adding anything to this tank.

Will the previous copper treatments to the coral (30 years ago) cause me trouble in this new tank? Can I just monitor and treat with Cuprisorb etc if needed or is this just not worth the risk because I'm asking for all kinds of trouble from the start with a brand new system?

Please note - I would not seek out once-living coral that came from a reef at this point. I would just like to use what I have already if it's possible.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Back in those days, most copper used was ionic and was very prone to bonding with carbonate materials. This can render then unusable in tanks with invertebrates present. Here is a trick: rinse the coral well and then soak it in water with enough white vinegar to lower the pH to around 6. Aerate it over night and the next day, test the copper level of the water. If zero, the coral is fine to use. If you get a reading, dump the water and repeat. As long as you get a copper reading, it isn’t safe to use. If the coral is really contaminated, it will never be safe, even after dozens of acid rinses.
Jay

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking similar way as Jay, but question is if it's really worth it?
You would need Hanna Copper Checker and lots of work. Your decision.

OP
OP
M

MustaLine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm afraid you both confirmed my concerns. The stuff is just beautiful and wanted to use it if I can but don't want to shoot my self in the foot.

Out of curiosity I will try the acid wash and see what I get. I remember it taking forever to get to the proper copper level in the tank back then due to absorption. If I use the coral, it will likely be in a fish only tank someday down the road.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back