Question about DT fallow and equipment

mjaquarium02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about a month or so ago I saw both of my clownfish struggling to breathe. They were breathing fast, not eating, staying on the sand, and they were definitely not acting like themselves. The thing is that I did not know what was happening. Besides those symptoms, they looked fine. No white dots, no slimy coat, nothing. I also checked my water parameters and they looked good as well. I do have a cardinal fish but he was completely okay. Either way, I was running out of time for sure because my clownfishes kept getting worse each day. I kinda played my luck and I built a QT tank and dosed some copper. Again, I didn’t know what was happening and I wasn’t even sure if copper would work, but luckily it did!!! I just finished dosing copper to all of my fishes. They’re doing well. I don’t know what this mysterious disease was, but glad it is over.

Now my question is: Since I don’t know what this was, my safe bet is to let my display tank fallow for 40 days more. The thing is, what about my filters in my display tank? I have a sponge filter, carbon, and biomax filter media. Do I have to replace everything? What will happen to the beneficial bacteria that I already established with it? I still have some invertebrates including a cleaner skunk shrimp in my DT as well as some corals.

Any info helps! Thanks!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back