Can I use dry rock /dry sand with Dr Tim's one & only?

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought dry rock and inadvertently bought dry sand. My question is if I use dr. tim's one and only to cycle my tank will this be sufficient or do I need to use live sand as well?

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work but will be more difficult and take longer. I would return it for the live sand for the extra bacteria cultures you will get from live sand. If you had live rock I would just keep the dry sand but you're shooting yourself in the foot going double dry. While most new hobbyists don't know where to get clean live rock, live sand is a decent backup for a better first year.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry sand is fine as stated above. It might take a bit longer to cycle. Live sand can have a lot of dead bacteria along with the live stuff, that provides ammonia for cycling.

OP
OP
acshaw80

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work but will be more difficult and take longer. I would return it for the live sand for the extra bacteria cultures you will get from live sand. If you had live rock I would just keep the dry sand but you're shooting yourself in the foot going double dry. While most new hobbyists don't know where to get clean live rock, live sand is a decent backup for a better first year.

Thanks. I do have NH3 drops that I was hoping to use to help culture the bacteria. I'm in no rush to cycle so I was thinking I could keep checking water parameters over a few weeks to make sure it cycles. The reason I'm reluctant to return the sand is because I like the way it looks. Perhaps I can get a small chunk of live rock for my sump from my LFS to help populate the bacteria?

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I do have NH3 drops that I was hoping to use to help culture the bacteria. I'm in no rush to cycle so I was thinking I could keep checking water parameters over a few weeks to make sure it cycles. The reason I'm reluctant to return the sand is because I like the way it looks. Perhaps I can get a small chunk of live rock for my sump from my LFS to help populate the bacteria?

If you love the sand I would keep it. If you trust your LFS, a small chunk of live rock is a really good idea. It could have copepods which can be a big purchase by itself so $$ wise it's a value purchase. So if it's a good store, that live rock will not only have bacteria, but live organisms (copepods) as well.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your in no rush ,thats a good thing.
I cured my dry rock outside the tank
Let it go for 2 months. Dr Tims , Bio Spira and Fritz Turbo 900 bacteria. The more the merrier. Ammonia plus left over rotifer and brine shrimp hatching water. Used dry sand.
Curing-dry-rock.jpg

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 29 33.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back