Can I use just actinic light or no?

Andrew Beattie

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 30, 2016
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5524.PNG
IMG_5522.JPG
Hi there, another question for me as a beginner to saltwater. I currently have a coral life aqualight H-O T-5 dual lamp on my tank. Unfortunately this lamp doesn't have the option of using either the 10,000k bulb or the actinic bulb it just uses both of them at the same time. I was wondering can I replace the 10,000k bulb and just use another actinic bulb instead, the only reason I ask is because the tank is in my bedroom and I don't like having the bright white light on when I'm trying to sleep, the actinic blue bulb is fine to sleep with just not the white 10k. So I'm wondering if I can just use the lamp and do 2 actinic bulbs and use that both during the day and at night or do I need to buy another light fixture to use during the day and use the one I have now for at night with 2 actinic bulbs instead of the 10k bulb. Any help you all can provide would be great. Thanks!

IMG_5524.PNG
 
Look at the ATI Blue+ bulb. It has a better spectrum for coral growth than pure actinic bulbs.

You may also consider a combo of Blue+ and Coral+. That wouldn't be quite as white as the 10K bulb.
 
You wouldn't want to keep the lights on all day and all night anyway. Why not just put your lights on a timer and have them come on and go off automatically?
 
Just warn people thats what you do before selling and trading frags. And why am I replying to such an old butt post??
 
Lol because you didn’t notice the date like me as well probably.
 
jason fox uses actinic blue or blue plus??? not actinic?
 
When I heard him speak, he said "blue actinic". I took that to mean the Giesemann Actinic Blue bulbs which are similar to ATI Blue+.

Here's the whole session where he spoke about it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new