Can levels to high

Aaron88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my tank is about 8 months old and lightly stocked with LPS and a couple mushrooms. I have been measuring my Alk and Can levels every 3 days and my Alk will drop from 9.6 to 8.6 but my Ca is at 523 and doesn't drop ever. I use the Hanna Checker for my tests and I use HW-Marinemix Reefer Salt Mix.

Any reason why my Ca won't drop and why it's so high? How do I get my Ca down to around 420ppm.

ZeroShadez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing and calcium?? My guess is the specific corals you have are not using up enough calcium to see a drop

OP
OP
Aaron88

Aaron88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is interesting. If you've been doing water changes then the level should drop I can't imagine you salt would be that high.
The HW is rated at 445-450ppm @ 1.025sp. Know any way to get the Ca to drop? Idk if having such high levels of Ca is ok. Alk 9.6, Ma 1400 just Ca is out of line.

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt mix are you using? Have you tested a pure batch? It should match with what your salt brand says. That or your ca test kit isn't working

ZeroShadez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The HW is rated at 445-450ppm @ 1.025sp. Know any way to get the Ca to drop? Idk if having such high levels of Ca is ok. Alk 9.6, Ma 1400 just Ca is out of line.
It's possible that your cal test is off triple check see if your tests are consistent. That much calcium wont cause too much issue maybe some calcium precipitation on heaters and pumps

OP
OP
Aaron88

Aaron88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt mix are you using? Have you tested a pure batch? It should match with what your salt brand says. That or your ca test kit isn't working
Brand is in the 1st post. Fresh batch of salt is within normal parameters.

OP
OP
Aaron88

Aaron88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible that your cal test is off triple check see if your tests are consistent. That much calcium wont cause too much issue maybe some calcium precipitation on heaters and pumps
I tested with Hanna twice and then check twice with red sea test kit. Readings are almost identical. I thought precipitation would drop levels.

ZeroShadez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested with Hanna twice and then check twice with red sea test kit. Readings are almost identical. I thought precipitation would drop levels.
Precipitation would drop levels so if you not having any precipitation I wouldn't worry I don't think high calcium hasa bad effect on corals

NorthernReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the same salt and have had that issue also, even with a clam in my tank. I ended up changing water more frequently and plan to change my salt once my current inventory is gone.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only started to add lps and sps to my tank so my demand is low enough that my auto water change is enough to meet my demand and my alk runs around 8.4 while my Calcium is around 500. From everything I've read even though higher than normal, a little over 500 for calcium is not an issue.

lany2008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my tank is about 8 months old and lightly stocked with LPS and a couple mushrooms. I have been measuring my Alk and Can levels every 3 days and my Alk will drop from 9.6 to 8.6 but my Ca is at 523 and doesn't drop ever. I use the Hanna Checker for my tests and I use HW-Marinemix Reefer Salt Mix.

Any reason why my Ca won't drop and why it's so high? How do I get my Ca down to around 420ppm.
Have you ever tested your SALT CA? and PH?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using distilled or RO water for the hanna checker. It needs to have distilled instead of RO if you are currently doing that

sherb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That calcium level is fine and there is no reason to work to change it. Some salt mixes start that high.

That's a relief to know. I'm also getting a calcium reading of 520 ppm - using API test though (I know, I know). I thought it might be related to accidentally topping off with saltwater instead of RODI last week. :oops:

OP
OP
Aaron88

Aaron88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a relief to know. I'm also getting a calcium reading of 520 ppm - using API test though (I know, I know). I thought it might be related to accidentally topping off with saltwater instead of RODI last week. :oops:
That would be a bad day. But easy to find out and to fix.

OP
OP
Aaron88

Aaron88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That calcium level is fine and there is no reason to work to change it. Some salt mixes start that high.
It starts that high and then stays that high. It may only drop a few points between my weekly water changes.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back