Can low PH cause cloudy water?

Rimlessreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having a slight haziness to my water and couldn't figure out why. I decided to test my ph as all of my other params were looking good ( I know I should be checking it more). To my shock it was at 7.6, I used the Seachem Aquavitro 8.4 aquavitro . eight.four to raise my ph back to normal and it seems to have started to clear up my water. I was wondering if anybody else had any experience with this?

MistaOrange

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows your alk levels? If your ph is that low your alk will be low too. Best to keep your dkh between 8 & 9 that way it will keep your ph in check...

reefrottie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years ago I used a large dose of some ammonia remover and it tanked my PH to in the 6's range. My tank was a cloudy mess. Point the powerheads towards the surface for awhile and that should bring it back up.

NC2WA

Angelfish Whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have any snails in the tank?
could be spawning.

open a window and let fresh air and CO2 in should increase the pH level.

BTW..I graduated HS and college in your next of the woods...heck, I had private tennis coaching from Z Mincek at PV country club. :)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH is primarily determined by CO2 levels in the room with the tank. Secondarily by the alkalinity level.

If you test alkalinity and get a reasonable number (8-12 if you speak dKH, I guess. 3-4 meq/L.) then you can be fairly certain that it's CO2 in the air. Increasing alkalinity will have a pretty small effect on pH at this point.

Does any critters appear to be stressed, or is it just the haziness in the water? Any color to the haziness?

-Matt

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't chase ph numbers if your alkalinty is okay.I would not use ph raising products. Many people llke use baking soda which will increase your ph and alk. Also you can run some carbon which should help clear up the water.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your Calc number, and most importantly, what is your MAG number. If Mag is low and pH has dropped a bit, you might be seeing precipitation of calcium carbonate.

OP
OP
Rimlessreefer

Rimlessreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, thanks for all the great info everybody.

My alk is at 9 so no issues there, I have got the ph up to 8.2 with no change in water clarity.

I do consistent water changes and only have 3 fish, no snails and about 30 hermits. (Bacteria bloom?)

My test kit doesn't have trace elements in it so I'm going to pick one up this week. Because I do frequent water changes and have great growth I have never really worried about my calcium and magnesium levels. Guess it's time to start testing those things. Also I do not dose anything right now.

Thanks again everybody for the great input!

OP
OP
Rimlessreefer

Rimlessreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH is primarily determined by CO2 levels in the room with the tank. Secondarily by the alkalinity level.

If you test alkalinity and get a reasonable number (8-12 if you speak dKH, I guess. 3-4 meq/L.) then you can be fairly certain that it's CO2 in the air. Increasing alkalinity will have a pretty small effect on pH at this point.

Does any critters appear to be stressed, or is it just the haziness in the water? Any color to the haziness?

-Matt

No stress from what I can tell, just a milky haziness. No color.

coralreefer123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years ago I used a large dose of some ammonia remover and it tanked my PH to in the 6's range. My tank was a cloudy mess. Point the powerheads towards the surface for awhile and that should bring it back up.
I know this was a long time ago, but I am having the same issue now! How did you fix it?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this was a long time ago, but I am having the same issue now! How did you fix it?

It has been almost 5 years since he logged on to this site. In any case there are many possible causes for cloudy water. Precipitate, bacteria, algae, doc, etc.

If you give your tank into and parameters people may be able to suggest possible causes and solutions otherwise anything would be a pure guess.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back