Can my image of an aquascape be possible?

That one guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just thought of a cool idea and i dont know if it'll work and if it does am gonna jump right in and go for it so tell me what you all think.
Am planning to redo my aquascape in a form of 4-5 islands in which some live rock would be a little high above the water line randomly throughout the tank with it being about 2-4in high. I dont know if your getting the idea. Maybe 4-5 pieces in all. Then with the remaining live rock expose to air, I wanna add some plants on top. I want more than just a reef, also have nature above water. My tank is 60"x15"x12". Also have some coral that's already been attach to the rock itself. Favia, montipora, and zoanthids. If I Detach them away will it cause destruction? It's a must to pull all coral away in order to redo the aquascape. All help and tips are needed! It's an idea I had out f the blue when looking at my tank and itll be very nice to see my image come to life. I could already see it lol

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely it can be done and I think its a great idea. If you do it please post pictures.
Might start a new trend.

OP
OP
That one guy

That one guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't want just a center piece, more like 5 individual islands randomly placed. Now am concern about flow. I have all my powerheads on one side and thinking it might be an issue if an island is on it's way and reduced flow from reaching the other side of the tank. I know I could place a powerhead on the other side but that's what I don't want.

cpt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping the island more low profile/pillar like, could help the flow issue. Using rods is a great way to create tall narrow rock scape pieces

uploadfromtaptalk1423235117664.jpg

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool idea. I guess you would have to be really careful with your fish selection. with rock sticking out there would be no way of covering the tank for jumpers.

SaltAddict89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do it but it would have to be all diy to get that look or alot of dry rock and cutting

OP
OP
That one guy

That one guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now in the other hand what should I do about my coral specially the ones that have already been attach to live rock? Also concern about my parameters going crazy or getting bad. This is gonna take hours so tips would be much appreciated.

SaltAddict89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the corals id cut the rock around them and trim the rock down to be able to glue it to your new rock work

OP
OP
That one guy

That one guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hve a favia that was places in the middle of two rock unions and now it's holding to both of them and a montipora that holds three rocks together. Cut or detach? Will it damage any of them?

OP
OP
That one guy

That one guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna need more pieces of LR so will that cause a cycle or throw my parameters off?

SaltAddict89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could. It all depends on how much you add. If you add a little at a time or shouldn't cycle to much that your tank couldn't handle it,but if you add a lot it could have a negative affect

MatteZ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A buddy of mine did that with the little islands and had little crabs that lived on the,

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Updates on this? Cool idea! :thumb:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back