Can old live rock (now dry) hold too much nitrate to be useful?

Wampatom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a new tank using live rock that I have had for 10-20 years. The rock has been completely dry for several years. I mixed fresh salt water. I tested the water and it had 0 ppm nitrate. I placed the rock in the aquarium and measured the nitrates the following day. I measured 10 ppm nitrate. I would expect some ammonia or nitrite, but the tank has not been cycled yet so I would not expect any nitrates. Is it best to use the new rock?

OP
OP
Wampatom

Wampatom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a new tank using live rock that I have had for 10-20 years. The rock has been completely dry for several years. I mixed fresh salt water. I tested the water and it had 0 ppm nitrate. I placed the rock in the aquarium and measured the nitrates the following day. I measured 10 ppm nitrate. I would expect some ammonia or nitrite, but the tank has not been cycled yet so I would not expect any nitrates. Is it best to use the new rock?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought about this a bit more...since they're in your aquarium already...just wait a bit. That 10 ppm nitrate could just be some surface contaminants. Nitrate doesn't bind to rock the way phosphate does. It's decay of some material usually...so monitor of a few days...see if nitrates increase anymore. If not, water change it down to where you want and you're good. If it creeps up continuously...you may consider removing to buckets for treatments that don't cost a lot in water changes.

OP
OP
Wampatom

Wampatom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought about this a bit more...since they're in your aquarium already...just wait a bit. That 10 ppm nitrate could just be some surface contaminants. Nitrate doesn't bind to rock the way phosphate does. It's decay of some material usually...so monitor of a few days...see if nitrates increase anymore. If not, water change it down to where you want and you're good. If it creeps up continuously...you may consider removing to buckets for treatments that don't cost a lot in water changes.
Thanks. I assume this means that old Caribsea sand is also goo.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 38.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.0%
Back