OP
OP
Reefnewb

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another clue to the puzzle.... when I am lazy about replacing GFO and it's all been used the problem will get 3x worse until I replace GFO. So wouldn't that be a sign that phosphates are fueling the problem?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I can't see a clear picture of what you are dealing with? Is it growing on the rocks or just the sand and glass?

OP
OP
Reefnewb

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I can't see a clear picture of what you are dealing with? Is it growing on the rocks or just the sand and glass?
I know... all the pics I take show barley anything. It's on both... it's there day and night, once mid day comes around tho the sand bed and rocks will start to release bubbles all over the tank. The only way I can describe it is it kinda looks like clear green hair algae.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clear green hair algae
I've seen this before. It was new to me then and it's still new to me. MY GUESS is it's exactly what it looks like. It's not chrysophytes. This is more plant based. Almost like it's missing iron or some type of chlorophyll.

What I do know!? Is flucanozole fixes it. @ReeferMadness80G

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another clue to the puzzle.... when I am lazy about replacing GFO and it's all been used the problem will get 3x worse until I replace GFO. So wouldn't that be a sign that phosphates are fueling the problem?
Yup. It's quite likely it's feeding on phosphates. But likely not a bacteria.

What is your po4 at currently?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen this before. It was new to me then and it's still new to me. MY GUESS is it's exactly what it looks like. It's not chrysophytes. This is more plant based. Almost like it's missing iron or some type of chlorophyll.

Yup. Many many brown algaes out there.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He asked for help here. (might look the same?)
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/can-anyone-id-this-algae-clear-ha.294890/

Told me in another thread...
I posted this a while back, these are pics from his tank. I'm not an algae expert but was told it was chrysophytes. I gave him some fluconazole just to see if it would work, we didn't do any science. He didn't do anything else to the tank tho, in a few weeks it was gone. Can anyone ID this algae?? Clear HA??!

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Can-anyone-ID-this-algae??-Clear-HA??!.294890/

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And thanks for taking a look.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope that helps! I've delt with and are dealing with similar types of frustrations. ;Blackeye

OP
OP
Reefnewb

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already didn't Fluconazole about a month ago for bryopsis and it got rid of it but then this came. Phosphates are anywhere between 5-60ppb depending on time of day. My plan is to figure out the phosphate problem then use flucon to kill the remaining algae.... but I cannot find the source of the phosphates hahhaah

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm here to the rescue! Lol hold up, my buddy who was having this same issue just sent me these.
Before
ea70a07027540a237fc77dd0e022e340.jpg

After adding UV sterilizer
78efa7c2d77e69e832d6f0f1ed7a7c64.jpeg

Haven't read this whole thread yet, give me a minute, the wife just set a grilled cheese in my lap, and his currently giving me that look as I'm typing this!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already didn't Fluconazole about a month ago for bryopsis and it got rid of it but then this came. Phosphates are anywhere between 5-60ppb depending on time of day. My plan is to figure out the phosphate problem then use flucon to kill the remaining algae.... but I cannot find the source of the phosphates hahhaah
Ppb?

Mine is higher at .25
What test are you using.

OP
OP
Reefnewb

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks @reeferfoxx huge break in the case of leaching phosphates!! So there was a maxijet pump that I had in my one overflow to pump water out of the overflow because it wasn't being used and I didn't want the water to sit stagnant. Attached to the pump was 3/8 RODI tubing from Lowe's. Apparently when the light came on it would break down the tubing and cause it to leach phosphate.... not sure how but ever since I took that tubing out my phosphate has been below 10ppb and the bubbles coming from the sand are less and less by the day. The glass has been cleaner. Still gonna cross my fingers that it was the culprit.... hope this helps anyone that wants to use this type of tubing on their tank....

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back